Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

replying to Pop Rivet, William Ross wrote: Truly made offshore!~

Reply to
William Ross

replying to TURTLE, Jr Frazier wrote: I have a stratus aircond that goes in a electrial cab that came 480v 1 single plase. I was think two legs of 480 hot but just wont to check .hate to blow up

2500.00 dollar aircon
Reply to
Jr Frazier

I have a bowl feeder that we recieved from China that is single phase 480. The control unit has a black and white wire with a ground. It's not difficult to find 480 single phase on your transformer. In this case a header machine. If your transformer doesn't have a legible diagram, just find your single phase 480 by checking between the legs on the transformer. If it's fed by 480V 3ph you should be able to find it. I'm not an electrician, just an industrial maintenance guy, but I've had to do this many times as China doesn't wire their machines like American or European manufacturers.

Reply to
machtech357

On a 480/277 transformer you will be using 2 "hots". Typically they will be the Brown, Orange and Yellow legs. Gray will be the neutral. The 277 circuits will be Violet and Gray by the normal convention although it is not in the code.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know what a bowl feeder is but if it has a motor, and you connect to 3P power, it will run backwards. You need to unhook it and reverse the legs. All my time in a factory I never saw that not happen.

Reply to
TimR

It was so common in the computer biz newer machines had a reversing plug in the primary power tub that swapped 2 legs. If this is a single phase motor it doesn't really make any difference tho. You are only using 2 of the 3 phases.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah I saw that but I wasn't sure I believed it was 1P.

I can guarantee at least one motor that will run backwards on 1P though: my drill, if you're next to me and ask to borrow it.

Reply to
TimR

Lol, i just wired some single phase 480v dope lights for a client.

Reply to
me_electric_21

replying to Joshua, Justin Oliver wrote: You have a 3 phase service.not a 3 pole service but it is the same.your just using 2 of your poles. The correct way to say that is 2 legs of the 3 phases or poles. Two legs or poles is single phase when using equipment.

Reply to
Justin Oliver

replying to gfretwell, Justin Oliver wrote: Thay get the 3 phase motor going by raping a rope around the shaft and pulling before starting or using a capacitor on a phase to make another phase then drop that phase after full speed then dropping that phase. And at that phase you dropped you will be getting 277 90 degree off of power companys sistem. You can use that as another phase to make a 3 phase sistem

Reply to
Justin Oliver

replying to TURTLE, Justin Oliver wrote: It is probably a277 or a 480 volt single phase motor You can probably wire those HVAC fan motor different ways.

Reply to
Justin Oliver

That's a great question and I'm glad you asked and paid enough attention to realize that it was single phase rather than terminating it 3 phase.for Single phase 480v just land the 2 hits and a ground. There is no such thing as a stupid question my friends

Reply to
dexandcris

Why wouldn't you wire it similarly to 240 single phase? Depending on where you're at in the circuit there should be four wires. There would be an equipment ground and a neutral to handle the unbalanced load, if any. The equipment ground and the neutral meet in the meter or as close as possible to it. I can't see the original post.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If I have a 240/480 volt dual voltage single phase motor connected by 2.5mm 2c+e to an isolator and then just 1mm flex coming out with active, neutral and earth connected is it possible the power supply to be 480v or is it most definitely 240v

Reply to
justin.hamilton2891

On May 15, 2020 12:40PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I assume you mean 2 "hots" which would be different phases (not hits) and then a third wire being a green ground connection (a total of three wires.

2 hots of the same phase would be like wiring-up switching devices where one wire is line and the other is load.
Reply to
bruce2bowser

I just received a call from a customer that is looking for 480, single phase. He is telling me it is a piece of test equipment.

Reply to
cmassie

Ok. Do you want advice? Approximate location? Incoming power is what now?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Good questions.

This is a new (unrelated) post on a 17 year old thread that has appeared here at least twice before (years ago). (You appeared in one of them.)

The post is not even up to homemoaners quality. The OP should let someone who know what they are doing handle whatever is supposed to happen.

Reply to
bud--

Test equipment usually uses lower voltages than what it's testing. The only test equipment I know that uses 480 (volts?) is used to make nuclear bombs.

Reply to
micky

You don't know who his customer is.

Maybe it's the International Rustic Apparel Network, sometimes referred to as IRAN.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson