Wireless tstat to old furnace -- Please Help

Ok here's what I got:

I have an Totaline wireless tstat, model P474-1100RF, and receiver, model P474-1 100REC, that I want to use with my old furnance.

Here is a link to info about the tstat and receiver:

I have to connect it to a honeywell R845A relay. You can find the manual here:

I have two wires coming from the relay,(red and white) to the back of the existing programable tstat.

I connected the white to the W1 and the red to the R of the new tstat.

The problem: The furnace starts fine with the old one in place. I have a 2-wire connection and both tstats (old and new) are designed to accept more connections than what I need (cooling, a fan, etc.) I installed the new stat and when the tstat calls for heat I can hear a buzzing at the furnace, it sounds like the relay is trying to engage but cannot.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
webzap

Hi, Sounds like the relay is not matched to the wireless application? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You've gotten a hold of some slightly expensive devices. Its a shame you are going to soon "let the smoke out". That should stop your buzzing problem. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

One would start with the right relay for the application...you got hot water heat?

Reply to
CBHVAC

You got the wrong relay. Time to call out a tech before you fry your new stat or burn your house.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

The relay has been installed for about 15 years, I don't think it is the wrong one. The burner works fine with the old tstat.

Are there any knowledgeable troubleshooters out there that can solve the probelm?

Reply to
webzap

If you can provide a consistent story and provide a better description of the wiring scheme then we might be able to help. The stat that you are talking about requires no relay to be installed. You simply wire the receiver in as the old stat was wired. Done. Now if you need a relay to operate the system, then you might elaborate a bit on that. The number that you provided crosses to a 110V relay. It won't run on 24V, it will only chatter.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

I dont care if its been in there 30...its the wrong relay for the application. Period. I sell Honeywell, and have the catalogs, with apps...do you? That PDF file you pointed to only has some of the information on there.

BTW...you know you dont NEED the relay..or can you describe what you have, to a professional that knows how to troubleshoot this, or are you going to sit there and freeze, while a tech can come out and fix it prob in one shot.? Whats your time worth?

BTW.....110V relays, with 24VAC to them, chatter like hell....

Reply to
CBHVAC

If you can provide a consistent story and provide a better description of the wiring scheme then we might be able to help. The stat that you are talking about requires no relay to be installed. You simply wire the receiver in as the old stat was wired. Done. Now if you need a relay to operate the system, then you might elaborate a bit on that. The number that you provided crosses to a 110V relay. It won't run on 24V, it will only chatter.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

In the link, there is no wiring diagram for the receiver. The system is simple enough, the existing series 80 thermostat just closes and opens the "tt" terminals on your r845. I would expect your receiver to replace the thermostat and do the same. When you get this buzzing at the r845, temporarily put a jumper across the "tt" terminals and see if it stops. If it stops, it would indicate to me your circuit is not completely closing at the thermostat end. It also sounds like you have both thermostats connected simultaneously, but I'm not sure. A wiring diagram would sure help

Reply to
RBM