Wire brush type

I've used a steel wire brush to get rust off auto parts for years. When the last one wore out I went to Harbor Frt to get another one. They had steel ones for $8 and Brass for $3. So I bought the brass one. So are I'm not seeing much difference in using the brass one compared to the steel. What, if anything, is functionally different about them and why would one use one over the other??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Theoretically, a brass brush will be nicer to your cast iron parts because the brass is softer than the iron. Don't know if it makes that much difference in practice though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A steel brush will leave deposits of steel, which can start rust on stainless steel.

Brass will be softer, so is less likely to scratch harder matals like steel.

Reply to
Bob F

The brass is a softer metal, for cleaning softer metal parts. I'd guess the brass will wear out faster than the steel.

Reply to
Phisherman

To polish brass-copper you cant use steel, brass wont rust, I have different hardnesses of brass wheels. Rusted steel is weaker , breaks easier. Brass will be good in 50 years. My steel bike spokes are half rusted through even though exterior shows them as fine. Steel might be better for hard fast work, but it depends on the type of steel used, HF will be cheap.

Reply to
ransley

Odds are if you apply a magnet to the 'brass' wire brush it may turn out to be brass plated steel. This is commonly done to avoid breakage from rusting at the center swaging. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You are correct. Now that it's been used for a week the brass has worn off the ends and my magnet ID's the material as steel. I think in the past the wire brush's have been labeled as stainless steel. Perhaps that's why this was cheaper... it's not stainless, just brass plated.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No brass is brass, Ive worn out enough of them doing copper and brass refinishing.

Reply to
ransley

Then you have a cheap chinese brush deceptivly sold , I have at least

10 of those some from the 50s my dad used. At 5 dollars a pound this summer copper was treated like gold, get a refund, get a quality brush.
Reply to
ransley