Window Well Drainage

We are planning on replacing our old original steel window well. New one will have more depth (48") than present well (12"), so we can raise it higher off the ground, allowing better ground slope away from foundation. Started digging out the old well & what I assumed would be

6-12" of topstone. Kept digging, and digging & finally stopped after going down into at least 2 plus feet of stone. I've dug out a few wells in my time & have never seen one completely filled with stone. Always have run into several inches of topstone & assorted debris, then dirt underneath.

This is a 1940s home in Wisconsin & should mention that only time old well leaked was result of ground water flooding over rim, going through the basement window. We believe our landscaping plan will address that issue. My Question: Was it common practice at one time to fill window wells entirely with stone? Isn't it better to pack dirt into well,so is tight against the foundation wall and then top off with a foot or so of stone?

Reply to
jberndt

Does the foundation have a french drain around it? Maybe it is supposed to drain to the perferated drain pipe.

Reply to
Art Begun

Doubt it has a Fr. drain, as have never seen these around here with older homes. But can't be 100% sure I guess, unless I keep digging down...

Reply to
jberndt

WOW I thought in the 1940s, Wisconsin people still lived in barns with their cows.

Anyhow, after you finish milking for the day, I'd put on your ©Cheese Head Hat, get on the phone, and hire a team of geologists from the Ukraine to come and excavate 500 feet beneath your house to find out why the stone is there. That stone could be the result of a natural volcanic eruption, which could be ready to erupt again, (and destroy your home), or it may have been placed there by some French voyageur who needed a place to park his RV so he could launch his canoe off a suitable deck. Of course it is also possible that the people that lived there before you, were witches, and they were stoned to death by a mob of angry neighbors, and those are the stones that were used.

Either way, this is a serious matter and needs the help of the pros. Do not even attempt this job alone......

By the way.

If you need to stock up on cheese head hats, look here.....

or here.....

©DudE

Since you haven't had problems, why mess with the system?

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Gotta be a Republican

-- Carl Levin carlwarrenl (that's with 2 "L"s No "one"s ) at highstream dot com. Portland, Or.

Reply to
Carl

I would pack It then top It off like your latter plan of the 2 then make sure you got good guttering to help catch the water and grade the dirt so you have good run off away from foundation walls.glad to help you.

Reply to
TONY 70000

Quite true. Nowadays however, with the McfreakingMansions being built throughout the Wisc. countryside, the cows are kept inside the spacious 3-4-5 car garages....

What is so serious about this matter that requires a pro to address? Water has never leaked through the foundation, only via the basement window when well was flash-flooded by ground water per a 2 day 5-7" rainfall. .

Reply to
jberndt