Wilsonart laminate question

First off, my question is, is the cheap Wilsonart stuff no better than the Home Depot stuff or will I get a much better product going with the cheaper Wilsonart line? Thanks.

Here's some background, which probably won't change anyone's answer, but...

I don't mind paying extra for durability, but I do mind paying extra for style. Two rooms and a staircase will be getting the laminate treatment...a dining room that is passed through on the way to the back yard and the front/living room.

My wife and I didn't want to go with laminate initially, but due to transition height issues that would result from real wood floors, we decided laminate was our best bet. After a little research, I'm finding out that laminate might not be as bad as the horror stories we've heard from friends who have used it and have been sorely displeased with the look, durability, etc. Apparently, they paid little and got what they paid for.

Anyway, I understand some solid brands are Wilsonart, Mannington and Formica. Currently, I'm leaning toward Wilsonart but have come across three lines...Classic, Duo Link and Estate Plus, ranging in price from about $2 for Duo Link and about $3.50 for Estate Plus. The Duo Link isn't much more, if not less, than the low-end lines we've glanced at at Home Depot, etc. Hence, the above question.

What I found when looking at Wilsonart and other brands is that there was nothing special about the Home Depot or Lowes price and you can probably find it at another floor store with more selection. I went with Manninton and not Wilsonart because Mannington lets you snap and unsnap all you want. If I remember correctly the Wilsonart does not come apart once snapped. Mannington went in last Septemeber and so far all is fine though it is slicker than prefinished glossy oak floors which surprised me. If you don't mind dings you still can't beat hardwood.

Reply to
Art

You get what you pay for in durability and looks. Most of the low end stuff from Home Crapo looks like particle board with cheap woodgrain contact paper on top.

My preference is engineered wood floors like Kahrs. It's not that much thicker than laminate but looks 10X better since it's real wood. The finishes are also excellent. (small scratches are almost unnoticable vs laminates that look like crap when they get scratched).

Reply to
davefr

Thanks for the advice.

Is Mann> What I found when looking at Wilsonart and other brands is that there was

I've thought about the engineered products. From all I hear, they're far superior in performance and looks. It would be a cost-based decision. I'll be in this house four maybe five years. Don't mind paying $3.50-$4 vs. $2, but getting up in the $6-$7 range might be a little high end for this neighborhood. The house is already pushing the top of the price range because of its size...pretty much anything I "invest" at this point isn't going to increase the value much.

What inspired the question was my concern that the low-end Wilsonart stuff cost the same as the stuff at the "Home Crapo" ;) and therefore wasn't any better. A rookie assumption, I'm sure, but I am a rookie at this flooring thing.

Since yesterday, though, I got some literature from Wilsonart that cross-sections each of the three lines identifying the layers...very helpful.

Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (davefr) wrote...

I believe so.... give Mannington a call. They answer the phone quickly. They are a privately held company by the way..... not publicly traded.

Reply to
Art