What pressure does a nailer require?

I have been reading data on framing nailers, but they never give the air pressure they require. Is there a typical minimum? Why all the secrecy?

Reply to
Toller

Not a good secrete. Here is what I got on my first try:

Of course if you get one of the butane powered ones you don't need any compressor.

Hitachi 3-1/4 In. Framing Strip Nailer (Plastic Strip Collation 2 In. to 3-1/4 In. x .113 - .131) Model NR83A2(S)

Extremely lightweight weighing only 7.9 lbs. and is well balanced with a steel magazine. The is designed for continuous operation. The built-in toenail push lever device allows the user to bounce the tool along the workpiece, this feature saves valuable time. Operating pressure is 70 - 120 psi and nail capacity is 64 - 74 nails. It also comes equipped with an open nose design which provides easy extraction for a jammed nail.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Every air tool I have ever seen tells you what is needed. Both in pressure and volume. Usually framing nailers are run 70-90 psi. Depends on what size and kind of nail your using. Ring shanks take a bit more umph to drive home.

Reply to
SQLit

It varies quite a bit with the hardness of the wood you are using and the size of the nails. I think I operate mine -- a Porter Cable FC350

-- at about 85 pounds with 16d nails and soft wood. (I should try it with some oak...)

If your compressor can deliver 100 pounds (the CFM doesn't matter much) you should be alright.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Harder thicker wood and long nails can require the max, Small nails thin soft wood the minimum. You adjust as you go.

Reply to
m Ransley

I checked PC and Dewalt. They don't say. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

No secrecy at all. Every owner's manual tells you what the operating range is. Pick your tool based on the nail sizes you will be using. Air pressure is always set with a test shot or two. I run my Senco at about 85 PSI for most stuff, maybe 95 PSI for treated yellow pine. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

we set ours at 100 psi for all framing nailers,roof staplers, brad nailers works fine and havent blown a gun yet. I do know of someone who blew the head seal of a bostich n80 framing nailer at 160 Psi. Gary

GVecere

Must be truly secret to you, I checked the PC web site, clicked on Tools, Nailers, Framing Nailers and the list of products has the pressure required without even looking at details of the nailers. About seven seconds total.

See:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran