Will drywall hold

What's so hard?

  1. Drill bolt size holes in whatever you are going to put up.

  1. Temporarily put against wall and use bolt holes to mark/drill holes in drywall.

  2. Drill holes in DW the diameter of the molly insert

  1. Insert mollys

  2. Tighten bolt so molly expands behind wall and the collar flange sets slightly into DW

  1. Remove bolts

  2. Put bolts through what you want to hang. A washer under the head may be needed depending on how big a hole you drilled.

  1. Screw bolts into molly inserts

If you ever remove your shelf all you need do is swipe a bit of spackle or DW compound over the sunken collar of the molly. Easier than fixing a hole from a plastic insert, lots easier than fixing a large hole from a toggle bolt or the big threaded DW anchors.

Reply to
dadiOH

So you're telling me I can't use a little hole saw and drill around the head so it will fall into the wall? :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Easier to just punch it through...but neither way *removes* it.

Reply to
dadiOH

Doesn&#39;t drywall mean sheetrock?

Reply to
mm

I think the concern is that there will be a bump where the spackle is put over the molly, a big bump if the flange only "sets slightly" in the DW.

Reply to
mm

Naw. You just take a hammer and dimple the insert a bit into the drywall. You&#39;d never know it was there.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Yes, but that still isn&#39;t plaster.

Reply to
<kjpro

It removes it from the drywall. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Doesn&#39;t it dulls bits just as fast?

Reply to
mm

No

Drywall is like chalk with paper on each side.

Plaster is normally called plaster and lath. Which has little stones in the mix that dull bits/blades.

Reply to
<kjpro