mounting bookshelves

I've just finished a 36"x24"x12" bookshelf made out of birch ply and I was looking for ideas on how to wall mount it. It is *quite* heavy while empty (20-30 lbs) so I figure its "full" weight will be 50-70 lbs. I want to use

2-4 lag screws drilled into the wall studs to mount this thing. Is there any reason I can't do that? This shelf isn't moving anytime soon so "French cleats" seem like overkill. On the other hand, if just using lag screws puts the shelf at risk of failure, then I'm open to more involved mounting systems.

Thanks

Reply to
Nathan

"Nathan" wrote in news:414d071c$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

French cleats will tend to distribute the load to the wall more evenly, and give you a better chance of success.

And I'm thinking that you ought to weigh the things you think you might load onto the shelf. Quite probably, you are underestimating the loaded weight.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I cant see why French Cleats would be over kill. Today you may not plan = on over loading the book shelf but what if you do ? Better to err on the = safe side IMO. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

My first thought was a French cleat as you suggested. Easy, simple, and strong. Decking screws will do the job.

Reply to
Phisherman

Another possible solution might be to attach a finished ledger board to the wall studs with screws and the plug the holes. Probably

1 x 3/4 oak would do. The shelf could sit on this and the ledger would take most of the weight.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

The problem is that if you have to ask, you may not have taken safe hanging into your design?

French cleats are ideal for hanging casework as long as they are integrated into the design of the piece. If you didn't incorporate them into your original design, they can be less than satisfactory as they are strongest when one of the halves is integrated into the back of the casework in the place of the usual screw strip.

On heavy case work that is designed to be hung, I use top and bottom French cleat halves in place of the usual screw strips. AAMOF, it is not a bad practice to bevel the bottom edge of ALL your screws strips so as to leave the option open for French cleat mounting if the necessity arises.

As long as you did some prior planning, and properly integrated screw strip(s) into the back of your casework, there is no reason why lag screws through the case back, screw strips, and into studs will not suffice .... it is done all the time with kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Swingman

The full weight is probably more than your estimate if it is going to be loaded with books.

Did you design the unit with hanging in mind? I just have the thoughts of a bookcase back made from 1/8" Masonite staying lagged tot he wall while the rest of the unit ends up on the floor. If you have a strong back mounting strip or two, the lags will hold it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski