wierd frigidaire element

we've had this *very* old frigidaire stove for 15-20 years... it's the wide heating-element kind... lived with 3 of 4 working... this morning my wife kicked-on Left-Front to boil water, and the element *ignited* into flames, melted the steel cover... i've never heard of that happening! no warning... ya, the stove is now gone, replaced by a smaller element caloric... but ima very interested in how something like that could happen?

opinions?

janos sz

Reply to
AND Books

Janos,

Flames? It sounds as if the element shorted out. This can be pretty spectacular. I had this happen once. Both the element and the control had to be replaced.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Hi,

Not all but that is a fairly common way for an electric range element to let go...it gets weak in a spot and blows a hole through itself....looks like a sparkler...not all, but the odd one damages the pot at the same time.

Some element info that may ( or may not ) help :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

jeff wrote: : Not all but that is a fairly common way for an electric range element : to let go...it gets weak in a spot and blows a hole through : itself....looks like a sparkler...not all, but the odd one damages the : pot at the same time.

:

: Some element info that may ( or may not ) help :)

: jeff. : Appliance Repair Aid :

thanks alot everyone...

still can't understand the sparkle-effect... maybe like startrek huh? the Firgidaire is now out of my house! Was there a manufacture defect in them older wider elements?? Just curious...

Reply to
AND Books

Hi,

Those older wide elements usually lasted longer ( 30+ years ) than the newer lighter/thiner ones do.

JMO.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff