Why use dryer sheets at all?

I was reading about hunting and not scaring away the deer, and it said when washing your clothes to use wWash your hunting clothes in scent-free detergents and dry them withnaturally scented drier sheets.

Why use dryer sheets at all? Did Daniel Boone use dryer sheets? Did Davey Crockett? Did Sacajawea? Did Diane Fosse?

Reply to
micky

Why use dryers?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have very soft cheeks and want to keep them that way so I use softener in the wash. Women appreciate that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As do sodomites...

Reply to
rbowman

I don't have a clue. I use unscented laundry detergent and no dryer sheets. It gags me when my neighbors do their laundry and the smell of their dryer sheets wafts all over the neighborhood.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I thought one advantage of dryer sheets was to cut down on the static electricity on some things like the sheets.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is true.

One disadvantage is that dryer sheets can cause a waxy build-up on the lint screen and inhibit air flow. If you use dryer sheets, you should test/wash your lint screen regularly Try running water through your lint screen. If it puddles more than flows, it's probably time for a cleaning.

Marilyn Manson

Oooh. Static electricity. Who cares?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

We stopped using them too. Our dryer vent stopped clogging up. I am in Florida. I think static electricity stops up in Georgia somewhere around Atlanta. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Got pets? Less static means less pet hair on cloths, towels, etc.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Care to share with the group how you overcome static electricity in your bed sheets?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Never used the sheets, but do use fabric softener in the wash. Never had a clogging problem.

After reading this, I may change to vinegar next time

Ed Pawlowski

Florida probably has enough humidity not to have any static electricity. Here in NC on cold days it is often enough to give you a good shock when getting in your car if it has certain seat covers.

In the plant I worked in there was a long rubber type floor mat about 70 feet long in a control room. You could walk across that mat and shock the crap out of yourself when opening the door in the winter time. The wall was was lined with instruments to control the process of the plant. It started out with air controllers. When the electronics was being put in, they would do all kind of strange things . They finally took out the mats.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Back in the 80's I installed hundreds of Radio Shack TRS-80 Model II Word Processing systems.

The systems included the main computer with one 8" floppy drive, a drive expansion bay with three 8" floppy drive, and a Radio Shack Daisy Wheel printer.

These systems were so sensitive when it came to static that users were wiping out floppy disks in the expansion bay just by touching the plastic case of the keyboard. I knew of one system where the user could consistently make the daisy wheel printer print out a single character just by dragging her feet on the carpet and touching the keyboard.

Once we realized how bad the static issue was and that the keyboard played a major role, we began to open every keyboard and install a ground wire from the case to circuit board before we installed the system. This helped a lot, but was not a complete solution.

In the worst areas, we would attach a ground wire with a grounding bracelet to the sprinkler system. The users would put the bracelet on before touching the keyboard, a floppy or anything related to the system. That method finally stopped the printer from spitting out the character.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have been here so long I forgot about static electricity but I was "shocked" back into reality when I fried the USB port on my laptop in Colorado. I walked across the carpet and plugged in my camera. Fortunately the only thing I blew was the USB port.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't get your pantyhose in a bunch. Does anybody wear those damn things anymore?

Reply to
rbowman

I've never noticed static electricity in bed sheets. I do cling to them but I thought that's because I'm so heavy.

Reply to
micky

That's the same thing Davey Crockett said.

Reply to
micky

By pulling on them? By letting them discharge naturally through whatever path provides the least resistance?

If you could tell me what the problem is, I might be able to provide a better answer.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Somebody must, because they still sell them. Probably old baby boomer ladies.

I'm not a lady. I wear socks and trousers.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...