Why one needs a dVD drive in his laptop after all, haha.

People laughed at me when I said I wanted a desktop and a laptop with a DVD drive. No one uses those anymore, they taunted me.

Well, I was visiting my brother and sil, and good friends of theirs had given them a telescope. They live on the 17th floor of an 18 story building, on a corner apt with a balcony.

And they are complicated. Setup especially. And guess what, included in the box was a DVD. Their computers would not play it but mine could. So there.

It turns out, the telescope is still for sale new, a couple hundred dollars iirc, but the file dates on all the DVD files was from 2008.

It included weblinks to the manufacturer, for warranty registration etc. and none of the links still worked, It also included the user manual in PDF, which is good because one of their new dogs** ate up part of the paper manual. I sent the pdf to each of their email accounts, though afaict neither reads his or her email. But if they complain later, I'll send another copy. LOL

**The dogs are maltepoos. Combination of a poodle with a malted milk.
Reply to
micky

I went to a computer store in 2022. I bought a used Dell and they let me sit in their work room and install Linux on it.

In the showroom, there was a bunch of stuff. Computers, components, peripherals, etc.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Look up MicroCenter, and see if there is one near. I think it's USA only.

Reply to
Big Al

One can't always tell but Cindy lives in the USA.

Reply to
micky

How??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually, most can't even accept an optical drive OR second HDD - and a large percentage don't even have a removeable battery anymore - or any I/O other than USB (in many cases ONLY USBC) ans possibly microphone/headphone-speaker - but often only bluetooth for that too. Business class "desktop replacement" laptops are the rare exception

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually on MOST laptops that still have an optical drive it's less than a 10 minute job to change - often involving only ONE SCREW - if you can figure out which one it is -- -On some desktops they are a royal pain - requiring total dissassembly of the case to get the screws out of the far side of the rack (those that don't use quickmount rails) On my Acer it's a 5 minute job if I have everything at hand - but adding a second drive involves porocuring the proper side rails - and they changed them every couple years - - - (even worse on an HP/Compaq)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

How did I find 18TB WD drives for $225/each? The major online retailers were running a big sale, but I happened to check the official WD Store at wdc.com and they had an even better deal going on, plus there was another discount for new customers. I guess I was just lucky.

Reply to
Char Jackson

It was this place:

Looks like they don't sell new PCs, except custom PCs that they build. I didn't notice, because I definitely wanted a used PC.

There were two or three guys on hand every time I went in there. Definitely old-school computer nerds, although I was surprised that they didn't have anybody who was comfortable installing Linux. No matter; I was.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
[snip]

Is the new drive a standard part that's easy to get? If not, it's still harder to change the DVD drive in a laptop.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On my Lenovos it's just a matter of pushing a button ... that bay is where the 500 Gb hdd resides in my laptop .

Reply to
Snag

Good to know about this. That's what I'll look for, Business class "desktop replacement". I'll try to remember that.

Reply to
micky

I'm impressed. I've been trying to get Linux (Mint is what I use normally) on our Dell laptop and failing. After hours of googling I see many people having the same problem.

Reply to
TimR

DELL usually has very good linux support, in my experience. Ubuntu loads seemlessly.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I can order and get the proper drive for just about any laptop next day. A lot of desktops are now also using the low profile laptop style drives so they are not as "universal" as they once were. ANd by the way, I worked for what was at the time the largest wholesale distributor of CD ROM drives in Canada - and the first major didtributor of Hitachi drives in Canada. I put CD ROM "libraries" - towers with up to 16 drives - into libraries, universities,and hospitals from coast to coast - on UNIX, Novel, and Banyan Vines networks as well as DOS and Windows apps before CD was supported by any of them natively. That was 5 years of my life.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Unless they've changed in the last 3 years DELL and SUPPORT are never found on the same page - - - But I know what you are saying - their products are COMPATIBLE with Linux. So are just about every other manufacturer's PC products. Might be more accurate to say Linux supports DELL and most other hardware.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I installed Fedora. That's what we used on Dells at my workplace. Piece of cake.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Dell offers systems pre-loaded with linux. No other major PC manufacture does that. That's what I call very good linux support (which means they upstream all the appropriate drivers).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've a mix, Ubuntu on my Dell laptop (since fedora wasn't, at the time, very laptop friendly). Fedora on my home desktop (an HP) and Scientific Linux 6 (clone of RHEL6) on my work Dell workstation; our cluster systems are running CentOS.

All were a piece of cake to install.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've got an older Dell Inspiron that I'm going to bump to 16GB and put a SSD in. I got pissed at RedHat about twenty years ago when they broke gcc and Python but I thought I'd give Fedora a try since the rest of my machines have Debian or Debian derivatives.

I was impressed by the app on the Fedora site that allows you to select an iso and creates a bootable USB drive. They say it works better than rufus. I like KDE but OpenSUSE is too woke for me so I'll try the KDE 'spin'.

Besides, Torvalds uses Fedora so how can it go wrong? He says Debian is too hard to install but admits he hasn't tried it lately.

Reply to
rbowman