DVD drive not reading discs

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed, but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks, which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and drive 'clicks' as expected.

Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.

This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.

Any bright ideas?

Reply to
Graeme

In message , jim writes

Does it boot from a live Linux disk?

Reply to
Bill

Yes, I would think so. Sometimes they retain the ability to play audio CDs.

Reply to
Graham.

Its knackered. When they stop working they often just stop, ie the laser don't work or the system cannot see the reflections any more. i havd one go like this on a Dell, a new dvd fixed it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Had a strange one recently.

I was writing a full DVD (data). It apparently wrote OK, but then I compared it back to the image (as I usually do).

The comparison was noisy (lots of motor speed changes) and VERY slow (about 3-5% of the usual speed).

I checked the DVD on two other drives and it read perfetly at full speed. So the drive writes OK, but can't read well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

In message , Jeff Layman writes

Sadly, nothing :-(

I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player and VLC.

I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.

Reply to
Graeme

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint

Reply to
Andy Burns

Usually the problem is to be able to get one for a specific laptop. sometimes laptop drives can be fitted into the existing plastic bit from the laptop, but I've seen these sealed so that if the manufacturer does not supply spares then you are stuffed unless yu fancy brain surgery on the plastic housing. B Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20 quid, so that may have to be the way forward.

Reply to
Graeme

I think you've run through all the possibilities. Looks to me as though you need a new drive. If you can't get a direct replacement, would a USB-connected DVD drive be an option?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

OK, didn't see that it was a laptop, but still less than a Norwegian pint!

Check if the Dell GT10N is suitable, seems even cheaper, also GT33N.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would you happen to have an old / spare laptop that had a suitable interface (SATA / PATA) interface that you could try in there before buying anything (although the odds are that it is the drive). If it was from another laptop you often just need to swap a bracket and faceplate and away you go?

The optical drives are often only held in with one screw from underneath so can be quick and easy to do the substitution test?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A bit more for laptop drives. And sometimes (9.5mm) quite a lot more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Focus or tracking servo has most likely failed then.

Unless you are good at dismantling laptops and have the right tools that might be best. There are some available for under a tenner though probably around the £20 mark might be wiser if you value your data.

Write once and read never drives are a nuisance for backups. As are drives that write media such that only they can read them afterwards.

Reply to
Martin Brown

USB DVD drives are handy but you may be able to replace the internal drive.

or

Is what you want (ultrabay is the key phrase - very thin). Not cheap.

Usually a couple of screws hold the drive in and it just unplugs and can be removed

Oh.

This video

(33-45 seconds)

shows it being removed by just sliding a latch and it can be pushed out.

ALWAYS PULL THE BATTERY OUT FIRST.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be VERY careful - you need a 9.5mm thick drive and its probably worth buying the exact part.

There are a couple of used ones at a fiver on ebay but I dont think they are exactly the same

Of course since removing it is so easy maybe a bit of TLC with a cotton bud and some alcohol on the optics might fix it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The T430 doesn't need dismantling to get the drive out.

And even if it did, most laptops are 'battery out, remove a few screws, back off, extract drive'

and have the right tools

A philips screwdriver?

I spent a long time looking at videos on how to dismantle my laptop - power socket and one USB socket damaged when it fell on the floor.

In the end it took about 5 minutes to replace two subassemblies..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but it doesn't take much /that/ much research to find which model drives are suitable replacements for which laptops.

If you're not sure, then it's the safe option.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Yes, I had worked that out myself.

Bugger ...

Reply to
Graeme