DVD drive not reading discs

This is a Thinkpad T430, running W10 32 bit. The DVD drive is listed, but discs cannot be read. Tried various home made and commercial disks, which used to work. The head is parked where it should be, and moves freely. Laser has been gently cleaned. The drive LED flashes, and drive 'clicks' as expected.
Tried searching for a new driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, and the Windows Troubleshooter, rebooting after each operation. Still nothing.
This *may* have happened after the last Windows upgrade, but not sure.
Any bright ideas?
--
Graeme

Does it boot from a live Linux disk?
--
Bill

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 17:37:51 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim <k> wrote:

Yes, I would think so. Sometimes they retain the ability to play audio CDs.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:52:51 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Had a strange one recently.
I was writing a full DVD (data). It apparently wrote OK, but then I compared it back to the image (as I usually do).
The comparison was noisy (lots of motor speed changes) and VERY slow (about 3-5% of the usual speed).
I checked the DVD on two other drives and it read perfetly at full speed. So the drive writes OK, but can't read well.
Its knackered. When they stop working they often just stop, ie the laser don't work or the system cannot see the reflections any more. i havd one go like this on a Dell, a new dvd fixed it. Brian
--
----- -
On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 6:18:16 AM UTC+10, Brian Gaff wrote:

go

but

ich

s'

I have come across a DVD which did not read while there is a healthy noise of the drive motor running. On opening I found a little rubber drive belt ( which is part of design to move the disc under the led-laser head) had snap ped. It a 25 mm dia rubber ring and I used a rubber band of the size to tr y and it worked. Caution: you may ahave to dismantle the laser head with it s plastic mounting to get to the rubber belt, When putting the thing back t he laser head alignment may need adjustment, a simple matter of a screw adj ust mechanism provided therin.
On 20/04/17 15:41, Graeme wrote:

Out of interest, what does it do with CDs - data or audio?
--

Jeff

Sadly, nothing :-(
I have tried a selection of CDs and DVDs, home made and commercial, but none will play. I think the drive must be dead even though the transport side seems to be working OK. I am using Windows DVD Player and VLC.
I tried booting from an Ubuntu disc, but that did not work, either.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

Happily DVD drives are available on ebay for less than the price of a pint
Usually the problem is to be able to get one for a specific laptop. sometimes laptop drives can be fitted into the existing plastic bit from the laptop, but I've seen these sealed so that if the manufacturer does not supply spares then you are stuffed unless yu fancy brain surgery on the plastic housing. B Brian
--
----- -

A slight exaggeration, but there are several listed for less than 20 quid, so that may have to be the way forward.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

OK, didn't see that it was a laptop, but still less than a Norwegian pint!
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=UJ8C2+UJ8e2+SVF152+UJ272q&_udhi >
Check if the Dell GT10N is suitable, seems even cheaper, also GT33N.
On 21/04/17 09:50, Andy Burns wrote:

Be VERY careful - you need a 9.5mm thick drive and its probably worth buying the exact part.
There are a couple of used ones at a fiver on ebay but I dont think they are exactly the same
Of course since removing it is so easy maybe a bit of TLC with a cotton bud and some alcohol on the optics might fix it

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, but it doesn't take much /that/ much research to find which model drives are suitable replacements for which laptops.

If you're not sure, then it's the safe option.

Hmm. Just looking at eBay item 152361944938 which quotes a 12.7 mm drive for the T430. There is a T430s which I think is a slimline model, and perhaps that takes a 9mm drive? Mine is T430 not T430s.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

What part number is on the dead drive?

There are countless numbers and references, but it is described as Lenovo DVD Multi III, and has the Drive P/N 45N7666.
There is also FRU P/N 04X4678 ASM P/N SDX0E53148 Model GT80N Manufactured October 2013
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

That's probably the easiest one to search ebay/amazon with, and there are several there, some of those listings will include alternative part numbers, such as the ones I listed, so search for those too - if the plastics are fine on yours you might be able to go for one without the bezel and get it cheaper if fewer people want that ...

Thank you all for the help and advice. Replacement drive arrived today, now fitted and working. 12.50 including postage. It arrived with a not quite the same bezel which had to be changed, and took forever, despite watching a YouTube video. Just couldn't see the little clips. Anyway, all done and dusted now.
Thanks!
--
Graeme

On 27/04/17 15:39, Graeme wrote: