Why is my clothes washer overflowing?

I have a GE WJSE4150 that is 2 years old.

Today it was filling for the wash cycle and water started coming down into the basement from the laundry room above. I happened to be directly under it when it happened, so I shut it off quickly.

I scooped all the water and clothes out and pulled it out. I expected to find a damaged hose, but the hoses and the the drain were fine. I put the clothes back in and ran spin and it worked fine. I then had it rinse. My wife said the level got higher than normal, and it started to leak again. I scooped some of the water out and ran spin and it drained normally.

It did not seem to leak either time until the machine was full of water; though I cannot be absolutely sure of that. So, I "think" it is simply not shutting off when filling, and overflowing.

So, what do I do here? Any help would be appreciated.

Last time I had an appliance problem someone here was kind enough to explain how to replace a $5 fuse to avoid a $75 service call. I am hoping to get that lucky again.

Reply to
Toller

That sounds like the level control switch or something to do with that control. This guy will probably post a definitive answer:

spudnuty

I set it for a small load. When it got up 2/3rds of the way, which I figured was too high for small, I stopped it, reset the level, and set it to low again. It stopped filling and started agitating. It did not leak. (whew)

So, that reinforces my sense that it is something about shutting off the water.

Reply to
Toller

I will have to pull it out and see if I can find the tube he says might need to be cleaned. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

A guy I know does exactly the same thing to his girlfriend.

Reply to
Bob

Now it will not spin after draining; it just keeps draining and draining. Could that be the same problem; it doesn't know it is empty because the water level sensor is clogged?

Reply to
Toller

Did your wife fill it before she loaded it? It could be that simple - she may have loaded it after the water level had gotten to a point where putting the clothes in made it overflow. I did that myself once or twice, but my washer is on a concrete basement floor, so no biggie.

Reply to
celticsoc

When water doesn't stop filling when the machine is turned off or unplugged, it is due to a malfunctioning fill valve. When water overfills at other times, it is due to some aspect of the water level control system. Pop the front of the machine off by inserting a putty knife between the top and the front, about 2 inches from the edges, pressing agains the clips to release the front, then rotate it forward and off the clips at the bottom. Check the pressure hose for any breakage where air can escape. If the tube is ok, make sure the other end is connected to the pressure switch by opening up the control pane via the screws at the top edge. If that is ok, remove the tube off the nipple at the tub, and gently blow through it. If you don't hear a sure click from within the pressure switch, replace the switch.

Reply to
nospamtodd

It is overflowing when filling; it just doesn't shut off.

I took the front off. The pressure hose looks fine, at least the part I can see. I didn't take the back off the control pane, but blowing into the hose at the bottom give a double click with a light blow, so I presume it is connected and the hose is sound. Yes?

When I took the hose off the tube, there was stringy black gunk in, right above the nipple. I took that out with a Qtip. Could that be the problem? Is there anyway to open up the little box the hose connects to, to clean that out? Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Check this out for leak protection FloodStopper Providing 24x7 Protection Against Flooding Due To Internal Plumbing Failures and Accidental Overflows Now Available at The-FloodStopper-Store on eBay

The FloodStopper=99 System is a patented, high-tech water leak detection system that provides 24x7 protections against flooding due to internal plumbing failures and accidental overflows by automatically shutting-off the water supply instantly upon detection of a leak. The FloodStopper System is designed for use in Residential, Commercial, and Industrial buildings and is available in valve sizes from =BE" to

10".

Insurance Industry records for 2002 indicate a total "Water Damage" Claims Payout of $11,500,000,000.00. They also state that 68% or $7,820,000,000.00 is Preventable by using a "Whole House Water Shut-Off Device".

With over 12,000 FloodStoppers in the field; not 1 claim has been made that FloodStopper failed to detect a leak and shut-off the water.

The FloodStopper System consists of low-profile electronic sensors (designed to blend into the d=E9cor of any facility), a user-friendly control panel, and a Honeywell=99 shut-off valve.

FloodStopper sensors are placed on the floor at points where leaks may occur, such as water heaters, washrooms, sinks, washers, furnace, boiler and pump rooms, storage areas, kitchens or near water-related appliances and equipment throughout any residential, commercial, or industrial facility. The sensors may either be hard-wired or, in areas where access is difficult, wirelessly connected to the FloodStopper System's control panel.

When a sensor detects moisture from a water leak, it signals the control panel to instruct the system's Honeywell valve to instantly, and automatically, shut off the water supply. The control panel also emits a visual alarm to alert users to the shut-off. It can also integrate with a monitored security alarm service if so connected. The system can be manually reset at the control panel.

For more information, visit

When you realize the Value, Level of Protection, and Peace of Mind that the FloodStopper system can provide, please contact us.

I look forward to hearing from you and I can best be reached via e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@smartsensortechnologies.com

Best Regards, Marc Cramer SmartSensor Technologies, Inc.

Reply to
marccramer