Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

Possibly your original post should have been more specific, then. Or possibly you should not have generalized your experience without more thought.

We have two acres, and our electricity is generated by burning coal. We have a 16-hp John Deere lawn tractor. We live just outside of Ann Arbor, MI, about 5 miles away from my workplace. Hardly the boondocks, and only about $200,000 ten years ago. (Probably worth about the same today.)

Allow me to address your points individually:

Well, we don't use a trimmer, and relatively few of my neighbors (whose yards are typically one or two acres) do, either. I try to wait until

8 on a Saturday or 9 on a Sunday before mowing. (Mind you, I wake up at 4:30 on weekdays and no later than 5:30 on weekends.)

So does electricity generation, except in those few places where hydro is feasible. Even that is not completely non-polluting if you take into account the pollution generated during the building of power plants.

Not everywhere. A pity I didn't open my electric bill last night; I might have more accurate info on electricity rates here. I believe it might be $0.20/kWh, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Only if you fail to keep them properly maintained.

Only if you are irremediably disorganized. It's not difficult to keep the gas can filled.

Granted, if your lot is small enough. We had under 4000 sqft when I was a kid, and we had an electric mower.

For those rare occasions when I use a trimmer, I use an electric one, although it's hardly quiet. I'm only interested in trimming relatively near the house.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Back into the troll soup...

I generally give it at least another hour before I make noise. I generally mow/trim in the evenings, though. It's cooler (may not matter in MI, but it does in AL). ;-)

Not to mention the fish and silting of the rivers.

$.10 here, but it doesn't matter. It's a *trivial* amount of money. The OP is trolling for excuses.

My 4-cycle trimmer starts quite easily. I don't do anything special to it, at all. Just hang it up when I'm done.

The 4-cycle trimmer helps here. ;-) ...the primary reason I bought a

4-cycle.

I all around the yard (a hill in the back need whacking), edge along the driveway and street, and blow the clippings back into yard.

Reply to
keith

That's why I would never, ever live in, or even too close to a city. Yuck. Disgusting. People packed together like sardines, makes me shiver. I do OK on my 5 acres, although I wish it were larger, I can still see one or two houses through the woods when the leaves fall. Summertime I can only see 1 house and 1 church that is maybe a 1/2 mile from me in the lower part of my view of the Smokies. That one I don't mind very much.

Reply to
Tony

My old neighbor put a Cummins Diesel 2 stroke in his little truck without much a a muffler. Talk about loud! I must say I was happy when it cracked a head and he sold it.

Reply to
Tony

.22LR

Reply to
krw

A 7AM mower start is a good response to a 3AM party break-up.

Reply to
krw

30-06?
Reply to
gfretwell

You may be "closest" to hydro power. But believe me the grid is one big system. If you're using power, you're burning coal, using hydro, burning natural gas AND using nukes

Reply to
Steve Barker

Don't they have mowers with battery packs now? I would consider getting one as I have a smaller(not tiny) yard. I also used a corded mower for a while and could sling extension cords like a cowboy.

I went to a gas mower because it took to long messing with the cord. I use a battery powered trimmer and it takes 2 packs to complete the yard.

Reply to
Spork

I use gas powered because I like the uden uden sound.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

Everyone should use a wood burning trimmer.

Reply to
ktos

Gosh, doesn't everyone? Just have to remember to fill the kettle and clamp it down tight before you light the fire.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Jules Richardson

personally, i use a 4stroke gas, and only restring it once a year and only fill it with gas twice a year.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If I remember correctly, it was Stormin Mormon who reccomended wood burning string trimmers. Be sure to fill the kettle with water each time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If I went to electric it would take me 2X as long. My gas engines are very reliable and gas stations are nearby.

Reply to
Phisherman