Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

That was a lot more meaningful when 2 cents bought a loaf of bread. TO bring it up to date it would be $3 saved is $3 earned. but a penny saved is just foolish lily gilding.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I would blame congress for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of= them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he= thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled= up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents so= metimes...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Didn't they also get rid of their $1 paper note? That's just loonie.

Fake ID

our country is so inefficent.

pennies should be eminated they cost more to make than they ae worth

nickles are another candidate for the dustbin of history.......

paper ones and 5 dollar bills should be metal only......

any post office within 5 miles of another one should be permanetely closed,they are unnecessary.

the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post offices.

postal mail delivery should move to 3 days a week monday wednesday and friday only

the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that duplicates fed x and ups..

the root of all this waste is congress. strict term limits would help end much of this idoacy..... 2 terms and your out no lifetime benies

Reply to
bob haller

"bob haller" wrote

They do; they're called contract stations and they've existed since the beginnings of the post office.

The Postal Service delivers packages cheaper than FedEx or UPS and requires signatures by the recipient. FedEx and UPS throw the packages over the fence or leave them where people can steal them. Whenever I need to ship anything I always use the Postal Service.

Reply to
David Kaye

They debased the penny about 30 years ago, replacing the copper with zinc and just plating it with copper. So a lot of them have very little copper in them.

Reply to
trader4

It's actually legal to melt down any coins other than nickles and pennies. The regulation banning the melting of pennies and nickles went into effect in 2006, specifically to prevent them from being melted down due to rising metal prices. Another example of your govt at work for you.

Reply to
trader4

You say that like it's a good thing. The USPS lost $5bil in the last quarter and has been losing money constantly for the last 3 years. Congress has been working for months to figure out how to bail it out.

They USPS only requires signatures if you pick a shipping method that requires it. Routine packages don't require a signature. Exactly the same as FedEx and UPS.

Reply to
trader4

They haven't been made of copper for almost 20 years.

Reply to
dadiOH

of them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that = he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he fill= ed up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents = sometimes...

You are correct. This is not the idiocy of Congress, but the idiocy of the = American people.

Same as the dollar coin. The US mint keeps trying to get us to use them but= we're too stupid to embrace the concept.

Last time I was in Canada for a few days, I ended up with about $30 in POCK= ET CHANGE. All loonies and twonies. It paid for the gas to drive back acros= s the border.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Yup, when I put $50 in my tank, I pay $50, not $50.001.

Reply to
dennisgauge

It's not copper.

Reply to
J.G.

That's why they are no longer recommended to be used in place of a fuse in a fuse box!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You missed the point rather badly, I'm afraid.

So do I. That's why I don't walk around searching for dropped change. That would be nearly as stupid as thinking that I suggested doing that.

All I do is keep my eyes open, and pick up any coin that I happen to walk past -- on a sidewalk, in a parking lot as I'm walking to my car, whatever. I get three or four bucks a year that way, at a cost of almost zero time and effort.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Correct, and also with paper cheques. But "already gotten rid of" is premat= ure; withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean tha= t banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid.

Unclear whether merchants can decline to accept them when offered in exact = change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the roun= ding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it i= s. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy a= re worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsg= roups.)

As of now, still business as usual.

Saw one of those souvenir coin presses a while ago that had a big sign insi= sting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost = you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a vi= sit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm= thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screw= s up the machine's dies.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

That implies that it was once a recommended practice. I'd like to see a cite for that!

Reply to
krw

I don't think the new ones are even metal. ;-)

Reply to
krw

They will accept packages from FedEx and UPS, too.

There are a lot of variables assumed in there.

That service is (is not) available with all services.

USPS does exactly the same and they leave everything in the mailbox. Note that signature service is available from FedEx or UPS.

Whoopie!

Reply to
krw

them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...

American people.

we're too stupid to embrace the concept.

Yet they insist on making the *dumbest* choices for dollar coins. No, I don't want any of them either.

CHANGE. All loonies and twonies. It paid for the gas to drive back across the border.

...and I have some loonies and perhaps a twonie or two from ten years ago. So?

Reply to
krw

There ain't much copper in a penny anymore....less than 3%, the rest is zinc.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia