Why do people rev up petrol strimmers?

The cutters don't work if the machine is at an idle. Speed is necessary just as on lawnmowers. Maybe you should ask why there is an idle.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have ended up getting rid of a0 Makita and two Bosch battery drills due to battery failures.

I have also got rid of a Bosch strimmer due to battery failure - only used half a dozen times, as we bought it to trim around M-I-L and F-I-L's grave and we use a mains one at home.

Typically they were all flat or part flat when needed anyway. The Hitachi drill I have now uses Li-ion batteries and is much better from that point of view.

Things are getting better and using purely battery equipment is becoming more practical.

However the petrol mower I was given is a revelation - being far better than even the mains mower that we were using before.

Reply to
Steve Walker

There are rebuilders that replace the cells at reasonable cost. I've not needed them for a while but they were about half price compared to new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As long as there is a need for a lightweight power unit. That lasts longer than half an hour.

2 strokes simply have better power to weight ratios.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only thing that sells Mazdas

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have a Dewalt drill that uses the old nicads that quit taking a charge. I probably only use it 4 or 5 times a year. It is not that old. I replaced it with a kit of drill and impact driver that uses the ion type batteries. No capatability,but I found an acapter that lets me use the ion batteries in the old drill for under $ 20.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Frightened it will stall? Are we talking the very puny ones that still use plastic cord, or the beefy flail type devices with metal type cutting gear. I would think the latter are made to be used at a constant rate, the council blokes seem to use them like that but some of the puny types seem not only to need to be revved up but kick out enough burned oil and particles that they might be considered as causing breathing difficulties if you don't wear a mask near them. A blue haze follows them down the garden and everyone next door smoke alarms go off within 50 feet.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Try putting snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com in the 'Delete' section of your message filter...

Reply to
Spike

NY submitted this idea :

Fun, quick, but not that expensive. They can be had second hand for not a lot and once bought, they are cheap to run. I guess mine (on my second now) have been cheaper on fuel than a follow behind mower. Follow behind would take most of the day, leaving me worn out = little tractor mower flys round in 30 minutes effortlessly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Surely you can run a new power line? Is your grass not next to a building, like the house?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The battery mower I've seen actually runs on two Li Ion drill batteries. It's shit. It'll only take 1 inch off the grass length or it can't turn the motor. It can't handle moss. It only runs for 30 or 40 minutes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's very easy to replace them, you just need a screwdriver and a soldering iron, it's not rocket science. I've even upgraded an ancient drill form NiCad to LiIon. Don't ever use NiMH, thy overheat drastically!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't care if it screams, but just keep it screaming instead of the stop start pointless nonsense.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The battery replacement has always been my gripe. How does Dewalt and I am sure many others justify what they are doing. For the same price of

2 batteries to replace the ones on my drill, I was able to buy another kit with 2 batteries, charger , drill and impact driver.

I had a leaf blower that was gas powered. It lasted almost 15 years . I was able to buy a new one that was more powerful that is gas powered for what some of the battery packs cost on the battery blowers. It may cost more to run on the gas, but it will probably outlast any battery pack.

I quit buying the HP printers because of the ink cartrige scam. As I seldom did any color printing I bought a laser type all in one printer. Much happier and it is much faster. Never have to worry about the ink drying up in the printer if I do not print for a while.

Speaking of the batteries, many of the cell phones do not have a battery that can be easily replaced. Guess that when the battery goes they think you will get another phone. I don't use my phone very much and it stays on charge for several days at a time. Around the house I still have the landline by the computer. Works out well and it is tied into the cell phone so that if I am away from the house phone , the cell phone will ring at the same time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many people do not have soldering equipment. I do have a very well equiped electronic work bench, but just do not want to go through all the trouble of taking the pack apart, finding cells and soldering them in. Most likely the cost of the cells will be close to the pack anyway.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A few weeks ago, I had a "battery failure" on piece of garden equipment. Actually the cells were all fine - the faulty was in the management part on a PCB.

Reply to
charles

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:44:08 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

Ha, good one!

Reply to
Tekkie©

Nowhere, it's a forecast, which is never right.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But definitely not minimum to maximum and back every few seconds.

I don't mind it slowing down for walking. I mean when someone is strimming an area and moving the cutter back and forth. They only strim in one direction and slow down to return.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not to that extent.

Next one that does it I'm going to smash it up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey