Why aren't AA batteries square?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 14:16:00 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

re square in crosssection, they wouldn't roll off the desk.

ividual cylindrical cells inside that are the approximately the size of = AAAA cells. The six 1.5 volt cells are wired in series to produce 9 volt= s. Peal one open and look for yourself.=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

WTF is an AAAA?

And have you ever noticed older NiCd AAs tend to bulge? Eventually they= burst the plastic outer shell.

-- =

Patient: Doctor, I think I need glasses. Madam: I think so, too. This is a brothel.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which you could say is actually useful. Instead of bursting, it bulges. If it's already round, it can't do so and explodes.

How did mud explain this concept?

?
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

there are two round corners :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Try it sober...easy-peasy!

Reply to
Jack

Less pressure.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

To test them with a multimeter.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

a) I would have thought 12V isn't enough to give a decent shock. b) Car battery electrodes are usually marked + and -, not red and black and c) Why would the polarity matter?

Reply to
Max Demian

The man was making a point that anyone but you can understand, not writing a technical manual.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In that case he should have avoided any technical details.

Reply to
Max Demian

James Wilkinson Sword:

Same principle, different purpose.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

A car igniton coil and a ttembler works wonders.

Depends,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 09/23/2017 05:27 PM, Bill wrote: [snip]

Maybe they do it (use multiple batteries) because of the varying needs of equipment and it would cost more to design more multi-cell batteries.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I've heard that "flashlight" came from when the batteries had such low capacity that it was too expensive to leave it on more than a second or so at a time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

EVERYTHING is potentially kinky.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

The greatest amount of water contained by the least amount of mud, makes the "lake" round.

I guess you haven't heard about what happened in Houston TX last month.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The clamps often have red and black on them so "Red is positive, Black is negative" describes the connection.

It might be connected through an (polarity sensitive) electronic device to produce higher voltage pulses.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Doesn't matter if you get it wrong on both ends. The jump leads aren't fussy.

Now that would be more interesting to watch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Do you mean a trembler? I thought they're like fuses. Why would you want to switch it off?

I've never seen one that isn't. The connections to the car though are sometimes red and black, or if it's a Renault, brown. I've seen some cars where both wires are red, or one's red and one's brown. If it's an old Espace with the positive wire running over the cooling fan, then it's on fire after a clip comes off and it shorts to ground. It was quite funny when the AA guy asked me to reconnect the battery once he'd replaced the wire, then backed off several yards, as he was "scared of electricity".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You really don't get humour do you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Something blew over somewhere, I thought that was some islands? Weather in another country doesn't really interest me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword