Why aren't AA batteries square?

Please explain better about creating volume. It takes less material to get say, a 1" cross section. A cylinder will touch at 4 points in a rectangular opening battery pack. A 1" square bottle or can holds more volume than a 1" dia. cylinder. 1 x 1 = 1 sq, inch pi r2 (0.05 x

0.05) = 0.785 sq. inch. A square battery could have more power packed in the space than a round (cylinder) shaped one.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So those 9V batteries and lantern batteries are no good? I guess I should toss them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 05:18:26p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

There are some round 9V batteries that are round, but they're not compatible with the rectangular ones.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

First, when you are measuring the area of a cross-section, notice that you get inches^2, rather than inches. I use "in" below. If we have a string of length L forming a circle (of unknown radius r). Then L =

2*PI*r (circumference formula), so r = L/(2*PI), and consequently the area of the cross section is (from the area formula) A_1 = PI*r^2 = PI *(L/(2*PI))^2 = L^2/(4*PI) in^2.

The area of a rectangle having perimeter L is maximized when the rectangle is a square (that's a separate problem I won't go into now). However, in this case, where we have a square cross section, we we get side length s = L/4, so A_2 = (L/4)^2 = L^2/16 in^2.

We conclude that A_1/A_2 is about L^2/(4*PI) /(L^2/16)= 16/(4*PI) = 4/PI is about 1.27.

So A_1 is about 1.27 times the area of A_2.

Note that the result, does not depend on the value of L. Let me know if you have any questions or if you find an error (they happen!) : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

AA batteries are round for the same reason that manhole cover are round.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

WTF does your square have to do with volume?

So in conclusion:   A 1" square bottle or can hold more volume than a 1" dia.

Rectangular packaging is more efficient use of space than cylindrical.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He's showing that you get maximum area with a given length bit of string if you arrange it in a circle rather than a square. This also means that if you battery is constant cross-section, as an AA is, the best shape for it to have to minimise the amount of case-material used to make it, is a cylinder.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That makes some sense. I don't know if batteries need a constant cross section but they may to have the best chemical reaction.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think not...

A battery holder if built on same sizing principle wouldn't let battery into its opening rendering it pretty much useless...

Reply to
dpb

So they can't get dropped down a hole? The folks makin' the batteries best do some thinkin'.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

From the point of view of minimizing the use of materials for an enclosure, the *sphere* does best. And, I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be a great design (ha!) ; )

Reply to
Bill

Manhole covers are round so they can't fit through their own holes.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

Yes.

Spherical batteries would waste a lot of space between them. You'd need larger flashlights.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

What do you mean, "them". You would only need one appropriately-sized battery (using more than one would be a waste of materials!) : )

Reply to
Bill

But isnt necessarily needed with torches etc.

Tho we have seen the big square batterys used for those too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why not say "torches"? they don't flash, most people turn them on, not on and off and on and off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That sounds positively kinky.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:22:18 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

re square in crosssection, they wouldn't roll off the desk.

At least I don't roll away. Place an AA on your desk, attempt to touch = the ends with a multimeter. Chase battery around the desk, pick it up o= ff the floor, then try again.

-- =

"Beam me aboard, Scotty!" [-] "Will a 2 X 4 do, Captain?"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thank you for your useful input to the discussion. Grow up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Round is hard enough!

James Wilkinson Sword