Why are electric nailer underpowered?

I'm shopping for an electric brad nail gun and found only a few models available. On many reviews I read, a commom complaint is underpower. These nail guns all have the same design: a large electric magnet that is energized by the trigger and pulls a hammer to drive the nail.

Does it have to be this way? Why not use an electric motor to wind up a large spring to drive the nail, or spin up a flywheel and then use the flywheel to drive the nail? The idea is to build up potential energy and then release it in a hurry. You can make the nailer as powerful as any air tool this way. The down side is the user have to wait a second or two between each nail, but that is still better than having to get a hammer to drive in the rest of the nail.

A compressor and air tool requires more storage space and is more cubersome to setup. A compact solution, even if expensive, is still useful.

Reply to
peter

Saw a TV program about an electric powered (can't remember the brand) nailer that repeatedly hammered the nails in, much like one would do with a manual hammer. It would hammer quickly taking about a second to complete the job. You had to hold it in position until it was finished. Possibly it never made it to the market.

Reply to
EXT

The size and weight is going to be much greater that the present crappy nailers. A pro is still going for the air and the speed and power and most amateurs won't pay the price for a serious gun, if at all possible and practical to build. .

OTOH, if you have a viable design, make on up and sell the idea to the big companies and become rich.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a Passlode Impulse framing nailer that I love, and just bought a finish nailer of the same design. They use a small gas (Mapp gas?) cylinder and drive the nail with with a piston that is powered by an explosion from a spark plug firing a gas charge. Check them out. I know HD has them. I got mine from pawn shops though. Actually,I think HD rents them too. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

I have NEVER yet seen in my life an electric nailer of ANY size or electric stapler that was worth a shit. Air is the only way to go, and the inconvenience far outweigh the poor performance of electrics.

Bought a Porter Cabler 2.5" air nailer at a pawn shop the other day for $40 to do a bunch of baseboard and door casings. What a breeze! And with the variety of lengths of nails, I have many projects to use it on.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Isn't the impact force adjustable? Different woods require different force. It's nuts if they are not adjustable.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

I've found my Arrow electric stapler works swell for putting up posters on bulletin boards.

Reply to
HeyBub

re: I've found my Arrow electric stapler works swell for putting up posters on bulletin boards.

I've found my *thumb* works swell for putting up posters on bulletin boards.

That should tell you something about the impact force of an Arrow electric stapler.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

According to peter :

No, it doesn't have to be that way, but the alternatives are going to be heavier, much more complicated, more prone to failure, and probably cost a lot more. Not a good recipe for the DIYer, and, after watching pros "bounce nail" stuff, I know they aren't going to touch 'em, because recovery time is _much_ too slow.

For small guns (eg: 18ga brad nailers), you don't need much of a compressor. A tankless would be adequate in some cases, a very small tank-type would be fine. Heck, a car tire compressor and an airpig is enough if you can do the fittings right.

Or buy a "cordless nailer", like Paslode, Hitachi, Porter Cable or Dewalt. "Look ma, no hoses OR wires!"

Senco apparently makes a clockwork spring unit which you have to crank.

See

Still best for relatively slow low volume applications.

Reply to
Chris Lewis