Why are copper fittings brighter than copper pipe?

If you are going to join the modern world and center post a response like normal people, at least learn how to do it neatly.

What a mess you made of your response!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I considered that, but I didn't want to remove that much of the frame. The frame is made from 5/4 pine and I figure the cleat would have to be a least 3/4. I'm sure that would have left enough wood, but I decided to go with a metal cleat.

Besides, it's not like I made the pipe either. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

1 half inch birch or maple cleat will hold around 100 lbs with no problem. using a "fender washer" to spread the load of the rack/frame the 5/4 pine will also be more than adequate - particularly with the pipe flange carrying half of the load directly to the pine sitting ON the cleat, and the flange holding the pine together so it can'r split from the load.
Reply to
clare

Yeah, Clare!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why do you need to shine the pipe ????

Copper tarnishes.

Get over it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Why do you need to use 4 question marks to ask one question?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

pipe. As you can see from

fittings are bright copper, the

so that it matches

g1l4fw.jpg

Maybe assemble everything, then buff all surfaces with emory cloth to get as close to the same finish as possible? Someone at a hobby store will probably know what kind of clear coating can be used to prevent tarnishing.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Paste wax. It won't scratch and peel.

Reply to
clare

Use "flitz" or "AutoSol" metal polish - or"NevRDull"

Reply to
clare

g1l4fw.jpg

to get as close to the same finish as possible? Someone at a hobby store will probably know what kind of clear coating can be used to prevent tarnishing.

Toothpaste is good -- and it leaves your copper smelling minty clean! :O)

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney