Who sells a plain old ladder?

I'm went to Home Depot today to buy a simple 10 or 12 foot ladder. No luck. All they sell are step ladders and extension ladders.

I already have a 28 foot fairly heavy duty extension ladder, but would like a light 12-foot ladder for things like cleaning the rain gutters on the garage, etc.

Where can I buy a simple 10-12 foot ladder?

Thanks, Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

Ace, Sherwin Williams, Taco Bell

Reply to
m Ransley

You cannot buy the 10-12 foot ladders at Taco Bell. Those are reserved for the exclusive use of drunkards who crawl up to the drive-thru window on their bellies at 2am because they've forgotten where they parked their cars.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Ransley drinking again? That's probably where he got the ladder at Taco Bell.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Have you though about making one from two 2x4s with 1x4s for cross pieces? Just made a 12 footer for my son for about $12 (used screws). My 10 footer is nearly 30 years old and uses only nails.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This is Turtle

Can you spell back ack after using a 12 foot home made ladder?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is turtle.

Art -- Home Depot, Walmarts, Southlands, Low's, Sam's Wholesale places all have just about every type ladder you want. Your Home depot your shopping at has lost their ordering manager for everybody else has everything you want.

Reply to
TURTLE

Well, a quick check of Ace Hardware and Sherwin Williams websites shows all they carry are step ladders and extension ladders. Haven't checked Taco Bell yet.

I'm looking for simple, single section aluminum ladder.

Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

I may end up doing that. But I'd really rather have an aluminum ladder for a its light weight. I can't believe how hard it's been to find a simple, single section ladder.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

I'll have to try Walmart. But so far the places I've tried carry every type of ladder EXCEPT what I want. They have step ladders, extension ladders, ladders that fold into various shapes, but not a simple 12-foot single ladder.

Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

If you want an OLD ladder, go to a garage sale or antique store.

Reply to
me

If you'll NEVER use it for anything taller, look up "Ladders and scaffolding" in your local yellow pages.

If you think you might occasionally need to go higher, buy an extension ladder and use only the bottom section

For a one shot deal, you may be able to rent one.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

As I said in my original post, I already have a good Type II 28-foot extension ladder.

But I'm looking for a lightweight 10-12 footer for various quick chores that don't require much height. A ladder like that would be a real convienience, and shouldn't cost too much -- if only I could find one.

Art Harris

Reply to
Arthur Harris

Perhaps you can find another person who wants the same thing. Then you could go together on a 24 foot extension ladder and each take home a section. :-)

Reply to
Rick Brandt

convienience,

Pg 1631 of the mcmaster-carr industrial catalog (cat #104) shows "straight" ladders in glass, aluminum,wood. The alu 12' ladder goes for 112.98 and is

25 1/2" width - part #8007t23 . They also show a flared base one for 3 times the price of the straight. You might also try msc direct or graingers (or other industrial supply houses). Pat
Reply to
patrick mitchel

"Ladders and Scaffolding" in your local Yellow Pages.

Here in CT, we have several excellent dealers.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

how much do you want to pay for a ladder???? brother in law worked for a company that needed a 6 or 7 ft. simple folding ladder... the home center sold them for about $19 at the time, one of those cheap alum. ones... well the company sent him to their supplier and he paid $79 for what he thought was the same thing... it was rated higher and not a homeowners model.....so the size you want is out there but you gonna pay about $300 or more for it if you go to a supply house that the pros go to as they dont sell homeowners quality(cheap) items... these guys buy them to last with alot of abuse over the years.....

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Paul Furman

For that range I use a very light handy 16' extension ladder; 2 8-foot sections that slide together. This covers the range 8-13' very nicely and the aluminum ladders are cheap. The extension ladders are easier to carry and store than a plain ladder. Note that a 16' extension ladder will only extend to 13', it needs 3' overlap. The extension ladders without the 'missing rung' are more confortable and a bit more expensive.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I use one of those folding multi-purpose ladders for jobs like that. You could check ladder manufacturers' web sites (such as and to see if they make what you're looking for, and then ask the manufacturer for a local dealer.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar