Who Makes The "Best" Smoke Detectors These Days ?

Hello:

Will be replacing several really old smoke detectors (the AC wired-in type) in a house we just bought.

Would like to get the "best" available.

Is there any concensus regarding who makes the best units these days ?

My local home Depot stocks only Kidde, apparently made in China. Should I go with these ?

What about First Alert, Firex, etc. ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

B.

Reply to
Robert11

Consumer Reports rated them, go online.

Reply to
m Ransley

buy a bunch of cheap ones. they cant all fail....

randy

Reply to
xrongor

If they're interconnected (depends on how "old" the system is), all it takes is one to "fail sensitive" to ruin your sleep. I finally disconnected the interconnects on my (12) Firex alarms because the damn things would go off at least once a week in the middle of the night -- just long enough to wake everybody in the house up, and then stop. Fun shit. No problems now that they're operating as stand-alone units. Hated to kludge the system, but it seemed safer than tossing all dozen of the *%&*%*&!!! things out in the trash.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Kidde's are UL listed, and a lot of electronics come from that direction now, including otherhousehold names eg GE/Philips etc Web site shows how big they are:

Main Man