A Common But Nasty Problem?

This question must come up quite often around here, but does anyone know what to do about a severely clogged toilet, short of calling a plumber?

Ron

-- "You see me now a veteran, of a thousand psychic wars. I've been living on the edge so long where the winds of limbo roar"

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

A closet snake should clear any toilet related clog. A standard snake should also do and a plunger works often.

In the long run finding a good toilet is much better. Look for a large fully glazed trap and you should have a good performer. The contractor specials that are cheap and come with most homes are just not up to the task. Don't buy based on price. Some of the most expensive look pretty but don't perform well. A good one that will not clog can be had for less than $200.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, if you can't clear it yourself, and you won't call a plumber, the only other option is to move.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Ron, Thats kind of a silly question. If it is severly clogged (as in, you cant unclog it yourself) then its pretty simple. Call someone that can. Maybe dynamite would be an option too since its severe Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It might help if you described the nature of the clog. I'm not tryingt o eb crude either, people have found that their kids flushing plastic things that aren't easily retrievable via normal means. If you have been only flushing what you are supposed to then a plunger or snake should do the job.

Reply to
scott_z500

I would go with the closet snake as Joseph recommended otherwise your next option is to join the bears in the woods!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Do bears shit in the woods?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That's where I was going with it.....though not so quite to the point....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

This is Turtle.

First just call a plumber and get it over with. Now here is something that Plumber don't like you doing is it lets him put his snake in some stuff that eats up his snake when he does come to unclog it and that is use some stuff called Ram Out or another brand called Liquid Fire sold at most hardware stores . you will have to go to a real hardware store locally for Home-Depot and Low's Stores don't sell it for customers can get it on them or in their eyes and your blind. then you can sue Home Depot for a Million dollar settlement. It makes the water temperature go above boiling and will melt grease and scale in the drain line. then when the plumber does come over there he puts his snake in this stuff and eats his snake up and then he don't like to get his snake eat up. it comes in Quart, and Gallon sizes.

Now the only thing it will not clear out is any new type plastic toys that have a very high melting point above the Ram out temperature when it gets hot. Also if you use too much on PVC drains it will melt the PVC pipe but not the new type toys.

Be careful with this stuff for it will burn your hands or blind you if you get it in your eyes. It is the best stuff ever made for drain clogs but it is just dangerous to use. Be Careful with it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Solution #1 - keep a carving knife and a spatula in the bathroom. Any fearsomely large looking objects can be cut up and for an extra measure of security, trap half of the load up the side of the bowl for the first flush, release & flush again.

Solution #2 - Depending on your "schedule", make it a point to go out to the local mall, 24hr supermarket, etc, buy a newspaper & use their facilities. I have seen some mall toilets that flush so hard that you tend to make sure there is a sufficient gap between your legs or butt and seat to ensure that your guts do not get sucked out.

Reply to
Ray

Go to the hardware store and ask for a "closet auger". Use those words -- the clerk should know what you mean. Ask for quick instructions how to make it work, they aren't instantly obvious.

The $25 Ridgid works much better than the $8 disposable one. well worth the extra money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I am remembering hearing of a construction company who had a clogged toilet. Someone suggested using the 3,000 PSI pressure washer to blast the clog loose.

The clog remained, but the contents of the bowl got scattered around the room in aerosol form.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here's what has worked for me several times. I've had serious plumbing problems in the last year, and just couldn't afford the plumber.

If you have a wet/dry vac, drain the bowl contents into it. Then stuff the flexible hose, minus attachments, down the drain as far as you can. If the hose is too big, spend a few bucks for a narrow hose & adapter.

Stuff rags around the hose in the bowl so you get a good vacuum. Flip the switch, and voila!

It may take a few tries, but is well worth the savings.

As for the contents of the wet/dry vac: once the toilet is cleared, then gradually dump the contents back into the toilet in small doses and flush lots of extra times.

Good luck. And please let me know if it works.

P.S. I learned this trick from a VERY expensive plumber who I'll never call back--and never need to!!!!!

Reply to
Betsy

It seems you should be praising him and worshiping the ground he walks on. He told you how to do it yourself and now you are saving hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars. Nice gratitude. Then of course maybe he told you how to fix it yourself because your house is a shit hole and he cant stand to go there anymore. :-P Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Plus, it's always a good idea to keep a shop vac full of shit around the house..... you just never can tell when an extra 5 or 10 gallons of human feces will come in handy! Indeed, a VERY CLEVER PLUMBER!

Reply to
Matt

You people terrify me. What, exactly, are you flushing? What are you eating?

Now, don't get me wrong. Like most people, I too, have stood up and found things that amazed me.

But really, this is the second 'mammoth turd problem' post in less than

4 days.

Remember: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Reply to
Matt

Wack toilet with sledge to loosen clog, as many times as needed. Now call plumber for a more expensive, toilet replacement job.

Reply to
John Hines

Latrines don't clog.

Reply to
John Hines

My toilet clogs all the time. What can I say? I have an unrestricted intestine. I use the plunger at least 1/3 of the time. They simply don't make drains big enough on most toilets. I've never had a problem with those higher pressure institutional toilets though.

Reply to
jeffc

TMI

Too Much Information