Smoke and Carbon Monoxide House (Ceiling Mounted Detectors ?

Hello,

Looked at the Kidde and First Alert sites, but could not find what I (think) I want

Looking for a Combination Fire/Smoke Detector which also has Carbon Monoxide CO detection.

They have them, but all the Combination units seem to have a Photoelectric sensor for the Fire/Smoke, for some reason.

Would really prefer Ionization for this function.

Would also want a Sealed, 10 yr Battery.

Any thoughts ? Other (good) brands ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

That's not what I am seeing. These units don't have a 10 yr sealed battery, but they do use Ionization.

However, according to Kidde, you should used *both* Photoelectric and Ionization for smoke detection. I quote from the description of those units:

"Leading authorities recommend that both ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms be installed to help insure maximum detection of the various types of fires that can occur within the home. Ionization sensing alarms may detect invisible fire particles (associated with fast flaming fires) sooner than photoelectric alarms. Photoelectric sensing alarms may detect visible fire particles (associated with slow smoldering fires) sooner than ionization alarms."

What's missing from this model:

DerbyDad03

Carbon monoxide detectors have finite life times. I've had smoke alarms that still worked well after over 30 years. Couple of years ago I replaced all with those with long life batteries. PITA to change battery every year in old ones.

Reply to
Frank

What are the long life batteries for these smoke detectors. Are they LiOn, or what? Changing them is not all that difficult, but remembering to buy batteries can be the biggest problem, and the next thing them things are chirping, and that is beyond annoying.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Don't recall but think 5-10 years. At my age, that could be lifetime. I replaced mine when one started chirping. Both smoke alarms were in same

1st-2nd floor hallway and CO alarm was on 2nd floor and I had the damn-est time figuring where sound was coming from. CO had reached the end of its life and I figured it was time to buy all new. I put the CO in our bedroom to avoid future confusion.
Reply to
Frank