Whirlpool jets only work sometimes

Put that hammer away.

Unless some idiot put in the tub, either the front apron should come off, (may snap on or be screwed) and the motor , pump and wiring should be easily checked.

In some cases there may be an access panel through a wall from either side of behind.

This should go without saying but once you get it open, shut off all power at the breaker panel before you stick your hands or tools near anything..

See if you can turn the pump shaft by hand to see if anything might be jammed in the pump. Any resistance or noises should be suspect. Most have some kind of a screen to keep things out, but impellers break

And then test the power switch feed, wiring, and the pump motor in that order.

(less likely with a humming motor) Also the power line could be connected badly, just a loose electrical wire.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Our home is 10 years old. The master bath has a whirlpool tub. This problem started a few months ago. About every other time my wife tries to use it, the jets won't work. There's a humming sound when the button is pressed, but the pump doesn't run.

Next day it will work fine.

Ugh...I'd hate to have to rip out tile.

Reply to
Anonymous

If it was installed properly, there should be an access panel to the motor. Since you talk about pressing a button, it sounds like you have an air switch on the tub which,through a bellows actuates the motor relay. If when you push the button, you get a momentary hum, I would guess the relay is not latching in. If on the other hand, you get a constant hum until pressing the button again, it would be more of an indication that the pump is stuck. In either case you're probably better off using it until it dies altogether, then mess with it.

Reply to
RBM