Whine in Pipes when outside hose bibs winterized

Anyone have any ideas why my pipes start whining when water's run only in the winter (when the hose bibs are winterized?) It's a medium-pitched whine with a little vibration. House is a 6 year old three level townhouse built by Centex. Thanks.

Reply to
jayrap

Easy test: Turn off the supply valve(s) to the toilet tanks. If that cures the whine, the ballcock valve in a toilet is worn out.

Certain mfr ballcocks will set up a resonance in the system when worn out. I'm guessing that the extra length of piping to the hose bibbs is somehow damping the oscillation.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried each toilet individually with no success in eliminating the whine. Did you mean close all the supply valves at the same time? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Reply to
jmrzx

I've heard similar sounds from vacuum breakers, but can't say if that has anything to do with your situation...

Reply to
Rick

Each toilet should have done it. Guess we can rule them out.

You may have a PRV (pressure regulator) on the service. If street pressure is high, these can whine as they throttle the flow.

It might look like:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It looks like I have a PRV - is it possible that it could have a usage meter built in? What might reduce the whine if it's the PRV? Thanks again.

Reply to
jmrzx

That may be a tough one, esp if street pressure is very high.

It's possible that simply replacing it would fix it. Maybe a different brand. Risk.

Reply to
Speedy Jim