Which Sheetrock Should I Use?

I just finished raising our bathroom ceiling back up to 8' using green board. My next step is to sheetrock the walls around the tub. I'm not sure if I should use cement board on the walls all the way up to the ceiling, or put cement board up to the point where the tile will stop and then transition back to greenboard up to the ceiling (I'm not sure if I want tile all the way up to the ceiling), or use greenboard for the entire wall. The existing wall had regular sheetrock behind the tile (from 1970's remodel) and the sheetrock was in very good condition. Which should I use? Also, If I should be using cement board does that need to be taped at the seems?

Reply to
x071907

What will be on the wall above the tile? You can skim coat Durock and paint or wall paper but it will take several coats. You definitely want Durock under the tile if it may even remotely exposed to water.

The seams are taped with fiberglass mesh tape and mortar. Look at USG's web site for installation instructions for Durock.

Schluter makes a very interesting transition profile for joining tile to the tub, DILEX-AS which I just ordered to try on yet another bathroom. (I don't know what I'll do when I run out of bathrooms to finish. ;-) )

Cost is about $18.99 plus $2.40 for the inside corners and end caps.

RB

Reply to
RB