Which primer to use?

I want to paint some wood windows which are currently varnished. I assume it's varnish or shellac because the house was built in 1953, and these are the original windows. I plan to sand them and then prime them. Is it ok to use a water base primer? I put on one coat, but it went on thin. I can see the wood through the primer. Is that the way it's supposed to work? Thanks.

Reply to
J. Cameron Davis

oil willl bond latex may not you really should talk to the manufacturer or go to a real paint store

Reply to
m Ransley

What brand of primer did you use?

I got the same results from Kilz 2, which is why I'm switching to Zinnsler or maybe Kilz Premium next time. Even the Kilz 2 can says that their oil based or premium products are better. I've been using

2-3 coats of the regular Kilz 2, which is why I'm making the switch to something better.
Reply to
Childfree Scott

I'd use a quality long oil primer and spike it with a liberal dose of Penetrol. You want something that'll try and penetrate deep into the fibers of the wood.

Acrylic primers tend to stay on the surface.

It'll be a lot of work but don't scrimp on the prep!!

Reply to
davefr