Where to find thin strips of stainless

I'm looking for thin pieces of stainless steel for making custom calipers. Kind of like these:

I'm guessing that 5/16" to 3/8" wide would do it. Thick enough to discourage bending from casual use.

I had no idea where to ask about this but you guys know everything :-)

Reply to
Chris

Try a local machine or welding shop. They usually have all types of metal and a bin filled with small pieces left over from big jobs.

Reply to
tangerine3

Scrap yard. It is best if you catch the scrapper on the way in. Then you get it at the scrap price, not the marked up price.

I bought a bunch of kitchen grade 18 and 20 gauge for less than a buck a pound (2 pieces about 2' x 3' for $5)

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't know about strips (except to look for "shim stock"), but you can cut thin stainless with tin snips (wear gloves). Purchase can be from your local steel dealer (or onlinemetals.com ), or you can get some for cheap by picking up a broken/discarded microwave that has a stainless steel outer shell.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

mcmaster-carr?