Where can I find replacement pipes like these?

hi this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original. These pipes have to be replaced now And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job. Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

martinabden

??? What kind of "plumber" can't get 1/2" copper?

Other than the what looks like bath handles set which probably ought to be updated, too, what's the issue?

What says have to replace with copper, anyway?

Reply to
dpb

common 1/2 inch copper pipe - available at any hardware or building supply. Need new tub/shower faucet set - available from the same places. Can also transition to PEX. All in all a simple repair - should run under $500.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Is there something odd about the size? Your stuff doesn't look like anything odd. A second opinion would be a good idea. Just for fun, measure the outside diameter of your pipes, then do the same at the local hardware store. People will be more than happy to help at a good store.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

From the information you provided in this post, sounds like the plumber is incompetent or a con man.  Find a different plumber.

Reply to
Valued Customer

+1

looks like 1/2" copper and why does the pipe have to be replaced? Looks like a crappy bath tub or shower faucet backside, if that has to be replaced it's easy to cut the copper existing pipe and solder on new pipe and fittings to mate to the new faucet, unless like Dean says, it's some odd size copper pipe.

Reply to
trader_4

Don't let that "plumber" into your home ever again ! From what I see in the photo, you will need : : a new 2 handle shower faucet unit $ 70. : 3 connectors : 2 shut off valves optional : a short length of pex piping

The badly oxidized pipe should be cut off down where a clean connection can be made. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Looks like soft copper TUBING, not pipe. Just be aware tubing is sized by OD, not ID so 1/2" pipe is the same size as 5/8" tubing. They ran that in my house too when the retro fitted the bad pipe under the slab with tubing in the attic. Since tubing comes in big rolls they did not have to lay on their belly in a 2.5:12 attic making a lot of joints, They pretty much "fished" the whole thing. If they don't have it at the plumbing supply, try a HVAC supplier. They use the same stuff for line sets. I also agree CPVC or PEX is a cheaper alternative and if you have bad water, a better one.

Reply to
gfretwell

The kind word for this is upselling.

But con-job seems to fit also.

No plumbing stories but I had a noise in the car exhaust,

Went to Mr. Tire - no time to look at it today. Went to Midas, 360 to replace flexible exhaust pipe. But they recommended replacing exhaust pipe to muffler (but not muffler) $750. Does that mean I get new 02 sensors? No, we take out your old ones and put them in the new pipe. But I'm sure when the time came they'd try to sell me new ones at 240 each, right, so now we're up to 1230.

Ended up going to a shop not in the suburbs, closer to the city, what would have been a new n'hood in the 1940's. He didn't even have to look at the car. He heard me drive in and said it was the flexible pipe. 180 for the flexible pipe. Counting sales tax, but not under the counter. Paid with credit card. Quiet as a kitten.

The part at retail is only $20 and it took him 20 minutes, so he still made good money, but Midas recommends I spend more.

Reply to
micky

Midas and the other "chain" shops will always try the upsell.

Always referred to them as BOHICA Automotive.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Is some of this because the stores near me are in the suburbs where people have more money and some people have loads of money, so they think, "I'd better replace a (perfectly good) pipe now so it won't ruin my day playing cards with Nancy and the girls" or "so it won't break down in the rain", but in the city people wait until it's actually at least partly broken?

BOHICA? I looked it up. Never heard it before.

They used to constantly advertise a lifetime guarantee, but it didn't include clamps, you learned when you wanted warranty service, and somehow the charge for new clamps was, I'm told, as much as the charge for the muffler and pipes.

BTW, this is not the right thread, but there was a link in a plumbing thread and it sent me to Home Depot which always changes what my local store is. Walmart and Target doe this too. This time it claimed my local store was Niagara Falls NY! Even though I'm in Baltimore.

Reply to
micky

On 9/27/2018 6:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

The lower _may_ be, but I'd be virtually certain the upper runs are pipe.

The kink in the lower L _may_ indicate tubing, but I think it was/is just pipe somebody bent rather than run a small offset.

Either way, it's common as can be albeit there are cheaper alternatives but again, it's likely the pipe itself doesn't actually need to be replaced other than perhaps a short section near the bath set it the corrosion there is bad enough.

Reply to
dpb

You would never get away with trying to make those bends in hard copper pipe. It has to be tubing. I agree time has moved on and copper pipe may not be the best product these days. If you have the tool to make the terminations, Pex is the way to go. CPVC may be the best DIY product

Reply to
gfretwell

I saw that bend and wondered about it too. I've never tried to bend copper pipe like that. Also never seen it before, which I guess we would if it was possible, easy, practical, because it would be very useful. So, I think you're right that it's some kind of tubing, which would then make part of what the plumber says true.

The remaining issue then is you'd need a transition fitting from what's there to either new copper, Pex, etc. You'd think such a fitting would exist. It certainly exists for any tubing in use today, ancient stuff, IDK, but you'd think that if it was tubing made for plumbing use, then fittings would still be available.

Reply to
trader_4

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

HAAAAA Haven't seen that term in awhile. The MIDAS touch - to your wallet.

Reply to
Tekkie®

There's only one very gentle bend in the one piece -- that's doable.

Again, it MAY be tubing but I'll bet it's not...

Reply to
dpb