When to replace water heater?

Reply to
Peter Bagrationoff

Go to

and look under rebates.....

Reply to
tivo-guy

What if instead of failing to heat, it leaks instead, which is the more common failure mode? And there have been lots of cases where a 10+ yr old gas heater suddenly leaked so bad that it flooded the basement and caused thousands in damage. One has to evaluate what the consequences of such a failure will do in their particular situation, ie where is the water heater located and what will happen if it fails. Somewhere in the 10-15 yr range is typically all you get with a gas unit, which is what tivo guy has, while electric units can last 20 or so. I got 11 years out of mine before it developed what I would call a moderate leak in the middle of the night. When you consider a new one that may be more energy efficient, plus a $200 deal, I'd probably replace it now.

Reply to
trader4

rip off. Telling you it is a great deal but if you combine the cost of the tank they want you to get and the installer they want you to use, you will end up spending more than you would have on your own.

I could be wrong- look into it, see what the restictions are, it may be a good deal.

Bluesman

Reply to
hotblues20

Thanks Tivo! I would not have noticed that. I have to buy a chainsaw so this will help!

tivo-guy wrote:

Peter Bagrationoff

The heater costs $359 now and will cost $359 after the rebate. Only difference is I am saving $200 on the installation because of the rebate. No-brainer to me! Good deal for anyone getting ready to change the tank anyway. Mine is 14 years old and I get lots of sediment in my hot water even after flushing and it is not very efficient.

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Reply to
Peter Bagrationoff

Make sure the price includes hauling out and disposing of the old one.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I agree. My WH has been delivering since '82. Why fix it if it aint broke? Joe

davefr wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Reply to
Peter Bagrationoff

Peter Bagrationoff wrote on 30 Dec 2004:

Um, as someone else posted, installation should involve very little time. An hour if no major re-piping is needed, two if it is. Even with expensive plumber rates, total installation cost should be under the $200. If you're paying a lot more than that, the rebate is worthless.

If the issue is disposal of the old heater, it's worth seeing what your community's/trash hauler's policies are. If you can just put it out on the curb for them to haul off, it's not worth paying extra for that service.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

What planet are you living on Doug? No Professional plummer is going to drive their van to your home, diagnose the water heater, leave to go pick up the new heater, come back with it, drain and remove your old one, install the new one, check it for proper operation and haul away the old one for $200 labor! An hour to change out a water heater? You've obviously never done a water heater replacement start to finish. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Lets see, cold water. Hot water. Vent.

I guess you just leave that black pipe disconnected? Hey, it's making a hissing noise and smells like rotton eggs. Well, never mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Peter Bagrationoff

Don't forget the T&P valve and the pipe to run the drain out of the house.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If I recall right our water heater was replaced about 6-7 years ago for somewhere around $350.

Reply to
Marina

Living in the past, are "we"? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just mentioned it because it was that price a few years back. Price currently would be more. Marina

Reply to
Marina

If your water is average in terms of hardness, then every 14-16 years id replace the water heater. Once it starts banging when firing (indicating that it has a load of sediment in the bottom )...its time to replace it

--- normally, its at about 12-16 years before this takes place to the point where its banging alot, and loudly. Once you install a new water heater, drain 5 gallons out every month, under pressure by hooking up a hose to the drain valve. This will 'theoretically' extend its life.

Reply to
JustCallMe Norman

Obviously

Ok, popular concensus is that gas water heaters last 10-14 years whereas electrics last 20-40 years.

Why the difference? (I thought tank life was primarily determined by anode condition)

Is there any difference between natural gas and lp gas tank life? (Lp having lower btu rating, therefore cooler heating)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.