When to replace water heater?

This $200 rebate, to qualify, do they say who you have to get the next one through? I feel an inflated installation charge/unit price coming. I imagine they will restrict you to buying a gas unit over electric so what other rules are in there?

If you can go to Sears/Lowes/HD and get a new one installed for $400 or less, and still get the rebate, then that might not be a bad deal.

Mines 26 years old and on its 3rd set of elements(electric). I drain it every two years and check the elements. Have you been draining it to remove any sediment build-up?

Reply to
Mike

Bubba wrote on 31 Dec 2004:

Sheesh, Bubba! Repeat after me - plumber, plumber, plumber.

That's right. I was figuring time to install a new water heater that was sitting next to the old one. No diagnosis necessary, no picking up necessary. Although I'd wonder about a plumber who got a water heater call and didn't have a new heater on the truck.

Well, actually, I've done two. But more importantly, I've watched professional plumbers do it. Of course *I* can't do it that quickly, but they can. And apparently the plumbers from Bynum Plumbing who showed up at the original poster's house could too. Took them two hours including the installation of a thermal expansion tank (which isn't common practice here) per the original poster's followup.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

Well gee Dougy. Your ONE hours seems to have changed into TWO hours now. Will your next post say that they can do it in THREE or FOUR hours next. Make up your freakin mind, you mo'. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Well, the rebate period was over at years end. I didn't opt to replace my

10yr old heater but the $200 rebate deal was that you could buy a heater anywhere and get a qualified plumber to install it. A freiend of mine went for this replacing his 14yr old heater per the rebate program. He got the heater at Home Depot and had them install it for $200 including the now required expansion tank.
Reply to
tivo-guy