What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

I have had and have a few Samsung monitors (and a couple Dell/Samsung). No problems with them. And I have heard of problems with Samsung's appliances (and LG's), but they know how to make an HD TV IMO. I have a 22" Gateway mo nitor, but I wasn't aware they ever made TV's?

Reply to
bob_villa

I used to volunteer at an organization that recycled electronic products. So, took note of the stuff that came in (broken). Of course, if you see a lot of something, it could mean it's a crappy design *or* it could be that they have 98% of the market!

We were very disapppointed with these pieces. In fact, we found a refrigerator that we fell in love with -- until we saw Samsung's name (and walked away).

Long time ago. Apparently had some "support" problems (no doubt someone else made the TV for them; so, if their relationship with that supplier soured, they would be unable to support their customers!)

OTOH, this one has been just fine for a LONG time (but predates HDMI, ATSC, etc.).

I'd had excellent luck with JVC video products in the past (VCR's, TV's). When we started looking for a TV as a replacement for this one, I naturally thought of them. But, JVC seems to have "leased" its name (reputation?) to some chinese (?) firm. I'm not keen on rolling those dice!

Thankfully, we're not couch potatoes and don't need a room dedicated to mushrooming our butts :> So, the TV issue is relatively unimportant (I can watch on a 24" monitor in a pinch; on a widescreen laptop for DVD's; etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

I don't have DirectTV, but I believe the sat antenna is connected to a receiver which then has traditional output for a TV, eg HDMI and that is how it gets connected to a TV. That's how it worked in the past. And if you're going to access streaming video from the internet, the wifi connection is between the DirectTV receiver and your router, the video then goes from the receiver to the TV via the same connection, eg HDMI as it would if the reception was via satellite.

Reply to
trader_4

See my other reply where you asked this. AFAIK, DirectTV doesn't use coax to connect to the TV, not in recent times anyway. They use HDMI and then any streaming video from the net uses a wireless or direct Ethernet connection to the DTV receiver.

Reply to
trader_4

So, help me here.

Let's say the DirectTV dish is on the roof, and it has a coax cable that goes down the side of the house, through a wall, to a wall plate.

From that wall plate, how does "it" (i.e., the tv signal) get on my "network"?

You said the tv signal gets into the network via either the wireless connection or through the wired ethernet (cat5) cable.

But, how does that coax cable tv signal get to either one of those (i.e., how does the coax connect to the wifi or the ethernet cable)?

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

Oh. That explains it!

So, the coax cable that comes out of the dish on the roof then goes into a "box" which has, as outputs, either coax or RJ45 or a wifi antenna?

Is that correct?

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

What's adding to the confusion is you keep bundling everything together as "outputs". The satellite receiver has traditional outputs that connect to the TV, eg HDMI or component video and audio. It also has connection to your network via Ethernet or Wifi. If by "coax" you mean the traditiona l cable TV type of coax cable, I doubt it has such an output, because I don't see what it would be used for today.

Reply to
trader_4

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The signal from the sat dish goes directly to the DirectTV receiver. The TV is connected via HDMI or component video to that receiever. That's one source of content that then can be selected for TV viewing. The receiver also has an Ethernet or wifi network connection which can be used to access additional streaming content off the internet as an additional video source.

He didn't say that.

It doesn't. See the above.

That's how it connects for one TV. There are options that use a wireless bridge to connect more than one TV, but that's a further complication. The above is the basic setup.

Reply to
trader_4

Be glad it doesn't need an actual OS and Windows wasn't selected. [g] At the no joy shutdown stage a general protection fault might have occured, and no venting would have taken place. Unexpected explosion (ironic as in this case, one is semi expecting an explosion), repaired with an upcoming service patch. [g]

Reply to
Diesel