What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

I don't have a new tv.

Thanks but won't work for me. You've come in in the middle of the story, Not worth repeating it.

Reply to
micky

A video is worth a 1000 posts:

You can determine if you think they are really dog slow or not.

Reply to
trader_4

Samsung supports USB keyboard and mouse

Reply to
gfretwell

I avoid Samsung TVs. Repair track record is not good. Still using Panasonic Plasma set. So far never had any issues. Superb picture quality compared to LCD panels.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

THat probably is a very good and simple idea. Connecting laptop or tablet to use as primary display and big creen TV set as a duplicate display.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Micky, B4 asking whole bunch of questions, you ought to search for your answers on the 'net. Specially Youtube gives lots of visual demos. Be specific when you have questions. Like telling us what you have and what you are trying to do and what problem you are running into or something you don't understand. As far as TV set goes, we're in HDTV era and HDMI cable takes care of a/v hook ups. When you mention WiFi, then do you at least have a router for your home network in your home?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Where did you see the repair records or brand comparisons? I have four TVs and three computer monitors. Lack of repairs and good picture quality is why I've stuck with them.

I was looking at the demo TV in a store with the UHD and curved screen. Wow, what a great picture!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nothing to do with wires, just turning on the tv to watch, it takes to to boot, and you must wait in order to change the channel. Mikek before

Reply to
amdx

I agree, I've bought Sammy's for work and relatives...my own is nearly 6 yo. People I know love them too...I guess one experience will prejudice some. Panasonic IS the best for cordless landline/bluetooth phones!

Reply to
bob_villa

We're not even *considering* Samsung products in our future purchase decision. We bought a Samsung Washer/Dryer and had the washer fail after ~18 months of *light* use (there's just two of us here; not hordes of rug rats constantly demanding clean clothes).

When I mentioned this to the friend who had "recommended" the Samsungs, her reply was: "Oh, we've already replaced the washer *and* dryer!" (failures -- same vintage as the units *we* purchased!!).

[If you want to have a broad set of product offerings, you risk your reputation in one line tainting perceptions of your other lines!]

I have *9* Samsung LCD monitors that were "rescues" (i.e., all had failed). By contrast, just 3 Viewsonics (which aren't known as "top shelf").

OTOH, our *Gateway* plasma TV is now just over 12 years old (August 2003) and still has a delightful picture. So much so that I've not spent any serious time trying to repair the two (considerably newer) Vizio sets I've been given.

[And Gateway had a *terrible* track record with plasmas!]
Reply to
Don Y

Funny, in spite of the good TVs, I'd not consider their major appliances. Bought a Maytag washer and dryer, Kitchen Aid DW. We have two Samsung phones too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't have direct tv. My router does not have a coax input.

I thought that was a coax cable coming out of all those direct tv antennas I see on houses.

If the output of Direct TV is coax, how does that coax get "into" your network?

It can't go through the router. How does it get into your router without a coax connector on the router?

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

I guess a USB wired mouse and keyboard would be useful.

Do most of these WiFi TVs have the ability to accept a typical USB mouse and keyboard?

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

There is, of course, no way to correlate the quality of products in one product line with those in another. This is implicitly acknowledged in my comment:

[If you want to have a broad set of product offerings, you risk your reputation in one line tainting perceptions of your other lines!]

OTOH, having experienced a "loss" in a product from a manufacturer, there is a strong disincentive to throw MORE money on OTHER products from the same manufacturer -- "Fool me one, shame on you; fool me twice..."

In the case of the washing machine, the nature of the failure wasn't something "odd" or "unusual" that would have been difficult for the designing engineer to FORESEE: the mechanical latch that LOCKS the door was fabricated entirely out of flimsy plastic -- despite the fact that it probably sees the *most* "wear" in daily use AND is always under considerable stresses (due to the internal design of the mechanism).

This should have been something EASY to test in the lab. And, something that you would intuitively *know* should be tested and verified before the design was committed to manufacturing. So, it obviously was overlooked in design, inadequately tested in manufacturing or a deliberate "gamble" on their part (with the manufacturer the intended beneficiary of that gamble).

I had a summer job at a hand-tool manufacturer when I was in school. A tool is a tool, right? A hammer from manufacturer A is just as good as a hammer from manufacturer B, right? (think of Harbor Freight :> ).

A hammer (e.g.) is *designed*, not just cut out of a block of steel. The hardness of the steel is defined. The strength of the handle and its fastening means to the head. The weight and balance, etc. E.g., notice that the edge of a claw/carpenter's hammer tends to be *beveled*. This is to reduce the risk of chipping and having metal chips fly off into the eyes of the user. Additionally, the edge of the hammer is *softened* (a separate manufacturing step) so it deforms instead of splinters.

All that looks good on paper. But, how do you *verify* that it actually PERFORMS as designed? E.g., we would routinely sample lots off the production floor and test for hardness, etc. We had a machine that would "hold" a hammer and repeatedly, continuously STRIKE a metal block every few seconds with a given force to see how long it took for the handle to fail. And, examine the head to verify the absence of any "chips", etc.

Is it too hard for a multibillion dollar company to design a jig that "opens and closes" a simulated (or actual!) washing machine door every 3 seconds and see how long it takes to *fail*? This would be REALLY easy to correlate with actual usage: assume the door is opened/closed at least twice for each load of laundry; assume X loads of laundry per day; etc.

Far easier to determine an expected lifetime of the mechanism than it would be, for example, to say a hammer failed after "driving

237,000 nails with a force of..."
Reply to
Don Y

I went over to a friend's house who had a new samsung wifi tv and the browsing was so slow that I'd say it's unusable for two reasons:

  1. Typing the URL with the remote was punitive, and,
  2. Once you had the URL, the time to load was interminable.

This might just be a bad Samsung TV, but, wow. It's great for checkboxes but it doesn't work in real time.

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

That's bad too. I hate my smart phone because it takes so long to turn on, and 5 steps to turn off. The "bar" phone I used to use turned on or off in a second or two.

My Philips DVDR, which does it's main job very well but has a bunch of design flaws, takes noticeably longer to change channels than does the Zenith set-top box.

Reply to
micky

The output from the Direct TV is a coax cable, right? How does that coax cable connect to your router?

Reply to
Ewald Böhm

Build a home theater PC and wire it to a "large monitor"/TV of your choosing. You'll browse at the same "speed" that you do on your PC (assuming you use a PC of comparable performance in the HTPC), will be able to access your local media tank/UPnP devices, view photos, listen to music, balance your checkbook, play games, etc.

Reply to
Don Y

Did their notice claim you *must* connect to the internet (as a condition of your service)? Or, were they just enticing you to ADD to your service (based on something they observed re: your TV)? I.e., if you can continue to get "content" and are willing to live without the bells and whistles, can you *decline* their "offer"/suggestion?

Reply to
Don Y

On 05 Sep 2015, Ewald B?hm wrote in alt.home.repair:

It doesn't. The TV network connection is via the common wireless or ethernet cable.

Reply to
Nil