What underground telephone cable to use when stringing from pole to house

I am having an addition put on where the telephone cable currently enters the house. Cavalier telephone has not responded to my request to reroute the cable other than "it will be very expensive".

So when the contractors cut the cable I will be left with a dangling bit of aerial wire that I will run underground ( 6- 8 ") about 150 feet to the NIC box. Questions:

  1. What kind of connector can I use to splice the aerial cable to the new cable?
  2. What kind of cable should I use for underground wiring? I dont want to run conduit if I can help it. BTW I have DSL so quality of signal matters.
  3. Most importantly, Are there instructions anywhere for this? TIA

Avery

Reply to
Avery

Is the the Cavalier Telephone in Virginia?

Note that you can't really do what you are proposing without running afoul of the Cavalier Tariff: Since you apparently have competition in the area, how about calling the other phone company and seeing if they will relocate the service for you for free (in exchange for changing carriers). Then call Cavalier back and ask if they'd like to match the offer.

2.1.6 Provisions of Equipment and Facilities, (cont)

B. The Company shall use reasonable efforts to maintain facilities and equipment that it furnishes to the Customer. The Customer may not, nor may the Customer permit others to, rearrange, disconnect, remove, attempt to repair or otherwise interfere with any of the facilities or equipment installed by the Company, except upon the written consent of the Company.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'd call the phone company back, ask for a supervisor. As far as I know the telco is responsible for all costs of delivering service to your house, and you are responsible for the inside part.

Reply to
Matt

you might be able to use what is called a peanut, check with a telephone and electrical supply house

maybe URD

good luck!

Reply to
effi

Your looking for direct bury wire. A quick google found 29000+ entrees unfortunately the first one I looked at was $1042.00 a thousand. You would have to buy a reel from them.

Contact some electrical supply houses. Ask specifically for "end of reel"times distance that you need. Me thinks that this will be for naught. I doubt that you will find any reels of wire less than 500 feet long. Try Johnstone supply, and WW Grainger.

You need ug cable whether or not you use conduit. Personally I would put in conduit. As for the other questions, I can not see what you have and your description is vague.

Call a contractor and make sure that they test the installed line. BEFORE you pay them. I do not mean continuity.

I have RJ-11/12 and RJ-45 testers that I use to determine if the installed line meets the specs of the cable and or the job.

Reply to
SQLit

  1. Let the contractor handle the problem. That's what you're paying him for and he should have a lot of experience with those sort of things.
  2. If telco is truly unresponsive, have the contractor pull the box loose from the house, coil the wire w/box back to the pole, then notify telco you don't have any service. You have done no harm to their equipment. Since they will have to run a new cable anyway, you can negotiate for an underground run.
Reply to
Bob S.

Running conduit is actually your best option, and if you plan it properly, you will not have to dig if your cable fails, or if you want to install other cable at a later date.

For underground use, use at least 1" PVC conduit.. preferably a bit larger. run it in straight lines, with as few bends as possible, and any bends should be large radius sweep bends, to allow for cable to be pulled thru.

install non-organic pull rope, and always leave a pull rope in the conduit.

Other things to think about:

Where does your existing in-house phone wiring terminate? Is this a good location for it? Is there a better location? How difficult it it to reroute the existing wiring? Would it be worth while to extend the existing wiring to a new location? Do I want to wire for any other services while I am at it? (CATV, Sat, network, home automation, security, etc..) (installing conduit stubs to the basement or attic allows you to change your mind later..)

Ideally, you want to have the wiring from each jack run to a central location. You don't want to daisy-chain outlets if you can help it.. If you extend the wiring to a new location, extend all of it, don't just extend part of it, and don't tie stuff together in some hidden location.

Note the the wiring dosen't all have to go to where the telco enters the house.. just to a central location, and the telco wiring needs to go there as well... if you have a utility closet, or garage wall, you can mount a backboard, and bring everything there..

Label everything. Label everything so that the next owner of the house can figure it out. ("rear bedroom" is more descriptive than "joe's room")

BZZT..

Never assume that a building contractor has lots of telecom experience.. Some do, some don't, and frequently the ones who claim to know what they are doing, don't have a clue.. I've seen a lot of work that was done by building contractors, and I've seen a lot of kludges..

I've seen cases where the contractor grabbed a sawzall, chopped a conduit, and went "oops.. there was a telephone cable in there.." I've spent hours in the rain replacing said damage.., as well as time spent pulling cable in extremely awkward positions due to the contractor's ineptness at installing the replacement conduit.

Even electrical contractors sometimes don't understand telecom.. they tend to think in terms of 90 degree elbows, while we think in terms of large radius sweep bends.. it makes a difference when you are trying to pull a 12 or 25 pair (or larger) cable..

Always ask questions about how the work will be performed. If in doubt, call a telecom contractor.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

I hate to "rain on your parade" BUT you'd better check with the Telco and find out if they have a clause in their "agreement" with the State's Public Utility Commissioner (or appropriate department) that they can level a maximum "fine" on a customer, contractor, or etc. for "pulling off" or "moving" their "demarcation box" or "point of attachment"!! Here in Oregon Quest and all other Telco utilities have this, and they are quick to "threaten" someone with the fine. BUT they are slooooooooow to schedule one of their people to come to your construction project and "plan" the removal and respotting of their equipment!! I usually tell them not to worry, that my next call is to the PUC, letting THEM know I will be moving the Telco equipment the next day!!!!! So far, I have had a Telco lineman there the next day pulling two (2) screws and a strain relief and rolling the demarcation box and wire back out of the way!! My point is: check before you cost yourself OR your customer a FAT fine!! Bruce Leiby

Reply to
Richard B. (Bruce) Leiby

Of course there is a way around this.. If the demarc location is going to be torn out for the new addition, simply have the contractor cut out the section of wall where the demarc is mounted, as well as any other attachments.. that way you are not tampering in any way with the telco equipment, since it is still attached to the wall.. the fact that the wall section is no longer attached to the house is none of the telco's business..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Haha. I man after my own heart. That reminds me of an eatery on the other side of town that petitioned the city multiple times to put up new outside walls (for look/style reasons) and roof (for functional reasons) and were denied every time because the city considered that a new construction.

So, they rebuilt everything from the inside->out instead. :-)

Reply to
Christopher H. Laco