What size beam to span 14'

With no load you can go pretty far. It only has to support itself on a pergola. You will be good for 14'

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes and if he googles for floor loading calculator, joist calculator, beam calculator there are tools online that will give you the various options depending on the load, span, spacing, type of lumber

Reply to
trader_4

They spanned 12' with 2x8 hem/fir around 14" O/C in my house in Md and it never fell down. The design load was around 40 per sq/ft as I recall. Like Ed says, in a pergola where there is not much else up there it should be fine unless they strap the top with 1x4s to block the sun and you end up with a snow load. The one that was here in Florida when I moved in was spanning 13' with 2x6 SYP.

Reply to
gfretwell