what's this kind of tool called?

I have to disagree with them being common. As you can see in this thread, a lot of people have no idea what they even are. Sure, I know you can go buy them, but here in NJ you won't find them in the typical hardware store. And they sure aren't commonly found in most homeowner's tool kits. And why would you suggest the typica homeowner needs them? For what? Around the house, it's pretty rare to need to use one. Personally, I've done a hell of a lot of work around the house and never needed one. They are very useful sometimes for working on cars, but I do a lot of work on my own cars too and I don't have a set. I would agree that they are more commonly found in a mechanics toolbox.

Reply to
trader4

tom&kel

I see them on every rack of tools I go by, but then I go to real hardware stores, not the box stores. You will also find them in any tool catalog including the Sears one. Granted they are not seen and used as much as standard ones but they are hardly 'rare'. As for people not knowing about them, those would be ones who have never done any serious wrenching on cars, etc.

For homeownwers I was assuming they own a few yard and garden power equipment. I am always glad to have offsets when working on them.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K