What parts of a pool motor need replacement?

You may even be able to tamp the bearings down with a piece of 3/4 inch iron pipe.

Reply to
Bob

If you don't have the real bearing installer tool use a 5/8" washer under the pipe

Reply to
gfretwell

You're not kidding!

$1.75 for these bearings? And, I noticed the 6203ZZ 17x40x12 Shielded Ball Bearings are a whopping $3.49 each!

Wow. What prices you have there!

I wonder what 'my' 1.0 Sta-Rite Maxi-GlassII pump (AO Smith motor, 1.0 HP x

1.65SF) bearings will cost.

How did you cross reference the part number?

I noticed, for example, your part number is 6203-2RS10-1; see that "203" part? That is the same "size" as my bearings. But, of course, I'm just plucking similar numbers out of the list so there must be a cross reference somewhere.

Did you do it merely by dimensions?

Reply to
Abol

I'm not worried about buying the right tools. They're inexpensive enough, and they will easily pay for themselves on the first motor rebuild.

Right now, with that FANTASTIC bearing site you referenced, I'm trying to cross reference my bearings to their part numbers.

Mine are:

- Sta-Rite Maxi-GlassII pump with the 1.0 HP x 1.65HP motor (QC1102), Y48 square flange.

- Here is a rough desciption (it says "double sealed ball bearings", whatever that means):

Here is an exploded diagram
What I'm looking for is a way to cross reference the bearings.

Reply to
Abol

I found an old receipt for my sta-rite maxi-glasII pump motor repair for a similar motor (QC1102, 1.0 HP x 1.65 SF).

The receipt says:

- KBC 6203D double-sealed 17mm bearings, $9.50 each, Qty 2, total = $19.00.

- PS-201 Pump Seal, $12.00 each

- U9-228A Seal plate o-ring for pump housing, $6.00

Googling for that "KBC 6203D" bearing, I find there are two types:

$2.97 each, 6203-2RS,RS Sealed Ball Bearing 17mm ID x40 OD x12mm width $3.10 6203-2ZZ Ball Bearing 17x40x12 mm 6203 ZZ Sealed Shield

I'm guessing "RS Sealed" and "Sealed Shield" are different ways of sealing them. I would think for a pool pump, the more sealed it is, the better.

Presumably the ZZ (with two metal shields) is more sealed than the RS (rubber shield?) but I'm guessing now.

I do know that there is clearly the black rubber in my motor ... so I guess ... the rubber shielded bearins are the OEM ones?

Reply to
Abol

The AO Smith part number for the #203 bearing is: 604005-001 which is a "double sealed high thrust" bearing.

So, that's probably what the "D" stands for in the "KBC 6203D" stamping on the bearing itself.

Interestingly the AO Smith size specs differ ever so slightly from the standard 6203 bearings:

I wonder if these (slight) differences matter?

6203: ID=0.66993", OD=1.5748", W=0.4724" AOSmith: ID=0.6693", OD=1.5750", W=0.470"
Reply to
Abol

6302 is pretty popular in pump motors and as you noted there are several grades.

There is usually a number on the bearing that will cross. Google is your friend. Metric has become the standard in the last decade or so since most of the motors are made in Asia these days. My wife has 7 pools in the community she runs and 11 lakes with aerators. I have a pool a spa and 2 well pumps. All of the motors in the 1-2 hp range seem to use a 6302 but YMMV. Check it out for a number or measure it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Those are metric bearings, that got converted to inch measurements.

BTW I may have typed 6302 in the other note. That was a typo. 6203

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know if I mentioned but "6203D" is on my bearings.

Googling, I find LOTS and LOTS of the metric 6203 bearings (17mm ID x 40mm OD x 12mm wide), at prices so scary as to make postage a bigger concern!

For example:

  • The 6203-2RS ball bearing has two contact rubber seals one on each side of the ball bearing.
  • The 6203-ZZ ball bearing has two non-contact metal shields one on each side of the ball bearing.
Reply to
Abol