What kind of water pipe?

I get ice dams. I've chopped them, I've salted them, and last time I ran hot water over them. I like the last method best.

My current set up is a gutter cleaner along these lines

My gutters on the north side of the house are about 22 feet up. So I have it duct taped to a swimming pool extending aluminum pole.

I want to eliminate some of the Rube Goldberg-ness of that setup and extend the handle of the wand down to the ground. It will be a little lighter than that rubber hose + the pool tool, I'll have a shutoff right at hand, and it will keep my hands warm with the hot water.

Will [1/2? 3/4?] thinwall conduit survive very long with water running through it a couple times a year and otherwise being stored in a basement? And is there a way to make a good sturdy, watertight connection between two sections of it?

What else might be strong enough to poke around a stick 22 feet long nearly straight up in the air without being too heavy?

There's a pretty decent scrap yard nearby that I haven't been to in ages- maybe I find something there if I know what I'm looking for.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

nd last time

electric heat tape is your friend, after first you insulate and ventilate properly to minimize ice dam forming top begin with.

plus use the special underlayment betchane? SP?? so no future ice dam can damage home

Reply to
hallerb

Jim-

EMT will survive just fine, it aint water tube / pipe but for your limited use it will serve.

A compression fitting (electrical) will be close to water tight but you can slather it up with silicone seal (remove the rings & nuts / then replace) prior to assembly. A completely water tight connection.....soldered coupling if oyu can find a glavanized, brass or copper item that has a close slip fit. You could drill out an brass pipe nipple & use it.

An assembled pipe 22 ft long is LONG.....3/4" or larger is way stiffer than 1/2".

What else might work? A couple used pool skimmer poles, the telescoping type.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

And way heavier when filled with water. My guess - it will be close to uncontrollable.

I would suggest a pipe for structure, with small plastic tubing going up the middle to carry the water.

Reply to
Bob F