What kind of sand is best for dry joints

I am laying bricks on an old concrete patio slab. Do I need to leave a space between bricks in both directions? 1/8", 1/16", or, can I just abut them?

What kind of sand is used for dry joints? I tried "concrete sand" but it is too rough and has large, irregular particles.

Thank you

Reply to
Walter R.

get the sand used for kid's sand box?

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

Agreed. The bags actually say, "Play Sand". Unfortunately, once you get them talking you can't shut 'em up!

Reply to
C & E

Reply to
sky