What kind of air conditioner?

I'm curious to know the specifications of my central air conditioner - size, efficiency, etc. The labels on the condenser unit have all faded beyond recognition except for the brand label - "RUUD High Efficiency". The furnace is a 1969 Chrysler Airtemp 150k BTU forced air oil burner and for all I know this could be the original air conditioner.

It seems to work fine but knowing more about it would help in determining when to replace it. Any thoughts how I might figure that out?

Thanks!

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Replace it when it breaks.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Ask the salesman when they come to give you a quote for a new furnace!

Reply to
<kjpro

Damn, I hadn&#39;t thought of that. I figured when it quit I&#39;d just put on some heavy boots and kick it until it started up again.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

== Good plan. Kicking it is usually always cheaper than replacing something.

Reply to
Gini

Not necessarily...

Jack Daniels is said to have died of "blood poisoning" after kicking the safe in his office during a fit of pique and breaking his big toe... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Here&#39;s the rule (IMHO) - If it says "High Efficiency" then it is old and inefficient. Look for a label at the coil, where the refrigerant lines go into the plenum of the furnace. My AC guy just replaced a unit for me that was installed in 1972! We could tell by the serial number on the coil.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

An experienced Tech can take the airflow CFM and the other test checks on this page and tell you fairly close how many BTUH it is putting out. It won&#39;t be the same as the tests they do at specific dry bulb temps & conditioned space wet bulb temp, but should put you in the ballpark providing it is delivering close to its rated BTUH; that of course is doubtful. The condenser air temp splits are NOT on that page, the links are there.

Yo can check the evaporator numbers but it might be oversized on a high efficiency unit, which is probably a 10-SEER. If you have it apart the flow rator number might be a good clue, if it is properly matched, ha. How is the Airflow on that Chrysler Airtemp Oil Furnace? It may have a different design than some of the Thermo Pride&#39;s. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

LOL.

Reply to