What is the scariest thing in your house?

Fan is OK, but you need psychological help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm offering a peace-of-mind suggestion. Similar to having a telephone installed in your coffin on the off-chance you're buried alive.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or Phobia.

The general name for the described malady is "Diplychiphobia" - Fear of accidents. The scientific name for fear of falling ceiling fans is "fandanglephobia."

Phobias cannot easily be reasoned away or mitigated, they must be circumvented. Agraphobics shop online and have their purchases delivered. Acrophobics live in one-story homes. I personally wear a clove of garlic around my neck to ward off vampires (Sanguivoriphobia).

Simply telling her "I have five ceiling fans in my house and in twenty years only one has fallen!" just won't be satisfactory. She just has to find an accommodation that works for her.

Reply to
HeyBub

Linda wonders:

I'm scared of that darned garbage disposal. What were to happen if I were working over the kitchen sink and my male appendage happened to free itself of my boxer shorts and drop into the garbage disposal - then someone accidently flips the disposal switch on? Or, in the case of my wife, purposely flips the disposal switch on?

I shudder at the thought.

I've threatened my wife with divorce, but she seems to welcome the idea.

Loren

Reply to
L Vetter

Dangerous?

Go to Google, type in:

ceiling fan decapitation

Read some of the links.

If you are still afraid, you have an unreasonable fear. Otherwise known as a phobia or anxiety disorder.

Type those 2 terms into Google, you'll find a lot of useful information there too.

DO NOT expect those around you to understand. If you seek treatment, tell your husband or children.

Removal of the fan is not a good option. You will just find something else to be afraid of. One of the accepted treatments is desensitization.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Cell phone probably won't work underground, in a metal lined coffin. You wouldn't want to be burried alive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dear Loren, Is your wife's name Lorena, perchance?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nothing to worry about. The grinder blade is at least 3" down so you'll never reach it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I heard Lorena Bobbitt was involved in a traffic accident. When the police asked her what happened, she replied: "The dick cut me off."

Reply to
Richard Evans

Everyone in my family was killed by a freak ceiling fan accident. I'm typing this from the beyond.

Olddog

Reply to
retired54

Most fans have switches right on them for turning them off. Check to see if yours does. If not, they make small caps to go over wall switches, all you need to do is remove the switch plate screws and install them right over the switch to keep people from switching the switch underneath.

Reply to
Mark

By your definition of scariest (not predictable and does not follow certain standards), there's nothing scary in my house until the in-law come over.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

If it's a Casablanca - you have a reason to be paranoid:

Bob (but not THAT Bob)

fan in the living room.

decapitate me or

put a

somone

always turns it on. Then I have to risk my life walking in that room

it off. I dont know why they put dangerous things like this

If I'm really so frightened about that fan, I would disconnect if from the switch so nobody will turn it on and I'll get an assurance that nobody will get hurt. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Jmmv08

scariest thing in my house eh? probably this computer, bringing me messages like this one.

Steve Barker DLT

Not a cell phone - a wired one.

I read a story about a fellow who was jerked around by a lawyer. Pretending to be the lawyer, he contacted the telephone company and the cemetery with an insistence that such a thing - a telephone in his coffin - be planned. The telephone company said it's against their tariffs, the cemetery allowed as how it just wasn't possible.

Anyway, he pestered the hell out of them, until they virtually agreed to accommodate his request. Then, one of them called him back with the good news. Of course the company that called actually called the REAL lawyer. Much confusion ensued.

Reply to
HeyBub

if it wobbles there are balancing kits. or remove the low hanging light kit? or replace the down-rod model with a flush mount? change from thick shag to a shorter carpet? or leave your high heels at the entrance door? :) -b

Reply to
buffalobill

My wife, hands down! I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

The toilet. Definitely the toilet. Especially right after my husband has used it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Fans don't kill people, people kill people.

Reply to
Matt