What IS quality bamboo flooring?

I have pergo flooring in my living room, and I really don't like the fake, almost "plastic" feel of it and the slipperiness of it. I love how dark bamboo flooring looks and also appreciate the fact that it's eco frienfly/renewable source. But I would like to find out WHAT EXACTLY IS a good quality bamboo wood? And what's the price per SF?

Keith, you've mentioned that you paid $2500 for your bamboo floor installation - did that include the bamboo wood AND the labor? If so, I would really like to have your people's contact info! :)

Thank you so much for any advice.

Reply to
Dovile (Chicago)

It was probably for just the labor -- unless it was for only a room or two.

We recently paid close to 4k for installation of about 1100 sq ft 3/4" hickory flooring. The material was not included in that price.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Which is why I just finished doing my livingroom and diningroom myself. About $4.79 per sq ft plus cleats and other supplies for the

3/4" prefinished ash. I bought the flooring nailer for $100 on sale and borrowed a compressor and brad nailer. I already owned a miter saw/cutoff saw. I spread the job over 2 weeks. Also did the 50 sq feet of porcelain tile in the foyer. The tile is less than half the cost of the tile job - thinset, grout, vitra tile backer, and edge trims.
Reply to
clare

Not sure where Keith lives but if you're in Chicago and his people aren't it's gonna cost you big time

Installation will be dependent upon what type of bamboo flooring you select. There are, just like hardwood and laminate, several styles. You can glue it down, nail it down, or snap it together and let it float, just like Pergo.

I don't like the dark bamboo but will admit that it makes for a beautiful floor, especially if you can find it pre-finished in a shade that you like or can live with.

Generally, the stuff is as hard as nails but not all bamboo flooring is created alike. While it's generally harder than Oak, we found some variations that were almost indestructible and others that were less so. Before you sign on the dotted line make sure that the the color you want and style you want is as hard as you want. The surface hardness, I think, is a result of the finish applied and also the orientation of the bamboo fibers. We looked at Lumber Liquidators and observed a pretty distinct variation in the hardness of several samples which came from the same manufacturer.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

yeah, Which state is your location? hope we could do something for you. the price of bamboo flooring is from $2.20 to $3.00. that's up to your choice. The labor is almost the same as the flooring's price.

Reply to
brutocai