Are bamboo floors really of bad quality?

Are bamboo floors of bad quality ?

Some friends told me bamboo floors were good, but I'm confused now because I viewed a comment .

"I've seen reports of Bamboo flooring being ripped up due to fast wear out. I've seen reports of the plastic wood replacement boards coming apart

- into messes of plastic - as the wood rots. It only costs 3 times more and lasts 5 or so years. Great. I have some on my weather station and the rest of the "board" (Veranda) in the shop. Maybe the shop board will last being dry for some years of replacements. Kinda ugly things put on us - like the water polluting chemical in Gasoline. Good ideas forced upon us at our costs. Like Drug companies. Martin "

The original post : Typical Types Of Wood Floors Source:

Floors can be classified into several types by the type of wood.

  1. Solid Wood Floor Each piece of Solid Wood Floor is made of a single piece of timber . The natural wood grains of Solid Wood Floor look beautiful . But Solid Wood Floors are expensive. But Expansion and contraction of Solid Wood Floor from moisture and temperature fluctuation may occur . ......
  2. Bamboo Floor Bamboo Floor is made of bamboo . Bamboo Floor is durable because the hardness of bamboo is much higher .

  1. Cork Floor Cork Floor is made of cork which is harvested from the bark of cork oak tree. Cork Floor is probably the most comfortable floor because of its softness, noise reduction, beautiful patterns and special textures.

Reply to
G.Jitu

Some are, some aren't....like most things, it depends on whether one buys good material and does a quality installation.

There are all types of bamboo flooring and bamboo itself, like wood consists of many species which have different characteritics--"bamboo" is not all just "bamboo".

You need to research more about it -- there is quite a plethora of information available from flooring manufacturers, trade associations, etc., etc., etc., that discuss the various factors; I'm not going to even try to write a treatise here.

--

Reply to
dpb

Some are, some aren't.

We loved the (vertical) bamboo I installed in our previous house. This house (horizontal), not so much. We'll likely replace it in five years or so with hardwood, if we're still here. IOW, it's a crap-shoot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

???

Reply to
krw

I am always leery of the glue they use. Bamboo is little strips of "wood" all glued together, usually in China. With so much glue used in the assembly and their propensity to use toxic materials, one never knows what is in it, what is off-gassing from the glue chemicals and the quality of the adhesive bond.

Reply to
EXT

Do you mean there are some different kinds of bamboo floors ?

Reply to
G.Jitu

You had negative experience with the bad quality bamboo floors. I want to buy bamboo floor, but now I'm afraid how to choose quality bamboo floors.

ote:

Reply to
G.Jitu

Will pay attention to this . thanks !

Reply to
G.Jitu

I had both positive and negative. Evidently there is a big difference in bamboo.

You got me there. Like I said, it's a crap-shoot. I bought the bamboo for my previous house online and was very happy with it (6' vertical - medium carbonized). The floors that came in this house are junk (horizontal - light carbonized, I think). They looked like hell before we even moved in. If you look in the great room closet you can see the original color is about ten shades darker. I bet I didn't pay as much (>

Reply to
krw

With bamboo flooring, you're at the mercy of the retailer. Do your homework carefully, pick your retailer for longevity, experience and good referrals, and you should be OK ... but, like one poster said "it's a crap shoot" with this type of flooring.

Reply to
Swingman

The complaints I have heard (aside from unanticipated panda invasions) is that the solid bamboo floors tend to have issues with humidity cycles. One customer bought a bamboo lamination (veneer?) laid up on engineered wood planks and she is very pleased. I like the look of cork flooring but the wear factor is said to be limited.

Reply to
Robatoy

Lots of older folks are requesting cork lately. Although it took me almost a month to do it, I recently persuaded a remodeling client to forego the 1500+ sf of cork flooring.

One of the problems, IME, was in getting a consistent float throughout the area, which included six rooms and a large hallway ... the FF to ceiling measurements in the house currently vary by almost 2" (often in the same room) and I couldn't get a bid which included demo'ing the existing, floating, and installation, which makes me suspicious that there is going to be some finger pointing in the future if one sub is not responsible for all three.

Reply to
Swingman

G. Jitu Bamboo floors have their place that they work well and they will FAIL miserably in other areas. I installed over 1200 sqft of bamboo form Lumber Liquidators. The material is very soft !!!!! As a key example take a normal 8 ounce glass tumber and drop in free fall onto the floor. If the bottom hits first, the floor WILL NOW HAVE A NASTY DENT !!!! Dining room chairs will dammage the floor as folks push back from the table.. Office chairs with rollers will severely rut the floor. I witness this first hand in my own home. The flooring I used is solid bamboo not the engineered laminate type. I also went with the "Hortizontal " type. This means when you look at the flooring each plank is a series of bamboo strips glued together. For bedroom use nice choice, for anywhere esle do not use this product. With regard to the information below regarding Bamboo as hard, comapred to oak, it is SUPER soft. I tore out the 50 year old oak flooring that was here. (Tearing out many walls created a nightmare to try to save the floor) The oak floor never had any of the damage issues I now have with bamboo.

Paul

"G.Jitu" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
PB

l and they will

Bamboo hardness is quite variable. Some is significantly harder than Oak, obviously some not. The stuff I put in my previous house was quite hard and scratch resistant. The problem we have with the floors in our current house is not so much that they're soft, but the surface scratches very easily and has faded terribly.

There is a lot of information to be found with a web search. This article proposes that the darker the carbonization the softer. That's not the whole story because our previous floors were carbonized- medium. The ones in our current house are light. Anyway, FWIW:

keithw86

l and they will

Reply to
G.Jitu