What for??

Ok, I admit it, I'm a packrat and save anything I might possibly use in the next 30 years. I just trashed out an electric edger that had a good dc motor. The motor just looked at me with those sad brushes and said "save me". Now what can I use it for? And what are the advantages of a dc motor vs an ac motor?

KC

Reply to
KC

Speed control via voltage, while torque is independently controlled by current.

You may have a "universal" type motor, not necessarily DC.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

AC comes into a bridge rectifier attached to the motor. The output of the bridge goes to the motor. I am assuming that is a DC driven motor, but with no apparent way of varying the voltage. Constant torque for varying loads???

KC

Reply to
KC

You mean varying torque for constant speed. Yes.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You can use something like an autotransformer to vary the voltage to the motor. Or a variable resistor. Or a PWM controller.

Yours aye, W. Underhill

Reply to
William Underhill

Your statement is unclear. Did you trash it as you said, or is it still there?

You're going to have to come down to the station and make a statement.

If you can't afford counsel, one will be appointed for you.

But this is serious, so you have no right to keep silent.

Lieutenant Friday

People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances Regional Enforement Agent

About 5 to 10 years. Better get a lawyer.

Reply to
PETA Regional Enforcement

You could put a propeller on it it and build an airplane to fly around in.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That's what I meant. Load increases > current increases > torque increases > speed remains the same.

KC

Reply to
KC

With a DC motor, you can spin the shaft, and it puts out electricity.

Put the shaft against the wheel of an exercise bike, and keep batteries charged?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mailbox opener.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or turn it into a wind mill and charge batteries. ;)

tom @

Just Joshin

OK, stop screwing around and throw that thing out. While you're at it, clean your room.

Reply to
Dan Espen

KC wrote: ...

Battery(ies) as power supply w/o inverter comes to mind...

--

Reply to
dpb

Probably the right size to make an edger out of it.

Reply to
mm

Or wait for the motor to "just look" at him with those "sad brushes" and say something else to enlighten him.

-- Oren

Oren

How much do you charge? Is there a separate rate for little batteries?

Reply to
William Underhill