What am I doing so wrong in this kitchen sink strainer removal process?

You should be a forensic plumber, because just explained the enigma!

Thinking more about what you so astutely observed, I can see that someone probably *glued* the tailpipe (upside down, with the hat on the bottom instead of on the top!) into the sink basket.

No wonder I had trouble unscrewing the cast aluminum retaining ring!

They *glued* the sink basket into place, from the underside of the sink!

It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned the glue, but I just realized there was no plumbers putty to scrape off in the sink!

My sister tells me the Sears guy who installed the Kenmore reverse osmosis water filter had last removed and re-installed the pipes, so, I suspect (without any more evidence) he was our lazy culprit!

Reply to
Danny D.

Now that you clued me in to the fact that the underside of the basket was *GLUED* to the sink, it all starts to make sense!

I don't know WHO did it, but, my sister told me the last guy there was the Sears Kenmore reverse osmosis installer.

Notwithstanding the fact the reverse osmosis system leaked long ago so they disconnected it (but left it in place), what seems to have happened is that installer *glued* the basket from the underside.

If so, that explains the inability of the lock ring to turn.

It also explains the lack of caulking on the topside under the basket flange.

It explains why I had to bang the strainer out from the underside.

And, it possibly explains why the tailpipe was upside down.

Sheeesh. You can't trust whomever did all that, just to save a buck!

Thanks for figuring out the enigma. I've been fixing things around the home almost ever day, without needing to post lately, but, this one had perplexed me until you pointed out the glue!

Reply to
Danny D.

Actually, it's also likely incorrect because, I've read, we should probably not mix plastic nuts with metal threads ... :)

I'm not sure *why* but I had read that in my search for answers before I had posted.

Reply to
Danny D.

This brings up a good question, especially since the flange on the sink basket that I put in is not wide enough to cover the rust, so, I have to replace it anyway.

When I was at Home Depot, there was a $20 Glacial, $30 whatever, and $40 Kohler sink basket.

I had wanted the Kohler, but, my wallet was recently stolen, so I had no credit cards and only enough for the $20 strainer basket and parts and tools.

The $40 Kohler was something like twice or three times as heavy as the Glacial - and it seemed to be built better.

Would you equate the Kohler with that Kindred?

I'm not sure the model of the Kohler, but here's one guess from googling right now for home depot and kohler kitchen strainer:

PS: What do I look for in a "good" kitchen strainer, now that I know I put a junky one in my sister's kitchen sink?

Reply to
Danny D.

The package came with the following:

- One elbow pipe with only one threaded end

- Two plastic nuts

- One beveled washer

- One squared washer

I used the beveled washer for the non-threaded end of the pipe. So that left me with only the squared washer.

Looking at the instructions, I'm supposed to use the squared washer. But, nothing I did made any sense.

So, in exasperation (with my sister asking what was taking so long to follow the simple instructions), I just re-used the old beveled washer.

But, I really wish I understood how that squared washer was supposed to work - because I couldn't figure it out!

Googling, I see almost everyone uses TWO beveled washers (one on each end), so, it's confusing to me why the squared washer even exists.

Reply to
Danny D.

My mistake.

I should have made it clear that the metal sink strainer already came with its own shoulder bushing, so I already used a shoulder bushing at the top of the plastic tailpipe.

The elbow came with another shoulder bushing, and only one beveled bushing.

My dilemma was that I was essentially missing a beveled bushing, but, if I followed the instructions, the entire pipe kept falling apart in my hands.

So, there's something very wrong with this picture.

I just don't know how those instructions could possibly have been followed by anyone.

Reply to
Danny D.

I doubt it. If you do not change the filters every 6 month or so you have worse water than without. I do not know of anything it could be used for other than what it was designed for.

Reply to
JAS

In hindsight, the funny thing is that my sister kept telling me that the guy who installed the Kenmore filtering system was far faster than I was, when all I was doing was replacing the existing plumbing and he was putting in an entire expensive filtering system in.

Reply to
Danny D.

Yes, but that installation guy had already done that job hundreds of times before and already knew what he had to do just by looking under her sink.

Reply to
nestork

Hey, don't take this personally, but your sister sounds like a PITA - unless she was good naturedly picking on you like family can do.

If she was serious about how long it was taking you to complete the job and complaining that you can't follow simple instructions, I'd tell her to call the Kenmore guy back. Make sure she reminds him to bring his glue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not just a vent , I think it's a vacuum break so the dishwasher doesn't siphon from the sink . It looks like the DW is plumbed into the drain downstream from the device - does the device have a one-way valve of some kind inside ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Lessons learned:

  1. Some repair people will *glue* a kitchen basket strainer on, and, if they do, you will have to destroy it in order to remove it.

  1. The reason *my* strainer ring was impossible to remove without destroying it was that it was glued on (see above).

  2. When buying a repair kit, don't assume all the parts are provided. Specifically, buy an extra beveled washer!

  1. Pay attention to the width of the lip of the replacement kitchen strainer; it needs to be equal to or larger in width to the original.

  2. Use plumbers putty (instead of glue) to waterproof the kitchen strainer basket; putting an oil on top of the opened container of plumber's putty should help preserve it for future use.

  1. If at all possible, get a new sister if she continues to complain about how long it takes you to do the job!

:)

Reply to
Danny D.