Weather station

You can still buy good stuff but it likely won't be at the big box mart or on realycheapstuff.com

Reply to
George

The Davis stuff is nice, but $600 The Oregon scientific as the same 2 degree tolerance that the Accurite has. Only difference is they may be in tolerance while mine is not.

I did find a Zephyr Instruments that is half a degree. I'm going to call Accurite and see what they have to say before taking it back to the store and ordering the Zephyr.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:9p-dnYDPXu1hYNzXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught my eye.

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50 bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

Reply to
Red Green

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:ts6dnflZaLQPfN_XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

If it's the PWS-1000TB you're eyeballing, I saw $131.95 + s&h. It was $16 to NC. You can start a Buy of it and it will tell you your s&h without putting in anything other tan zip code.

Lemme know if you find a better price.

Reply to
Red Green

I've had good results with Oregon Scientific, at least as far as temp reading accuracy go. In looking for a new one, consider the new internet connected ones. They show you the weather for the next 4 days, forecasted hi/lo, etc. in a neat summary fashion on the screen at all times, using numbers for the temps, symbols for sun, cloud, rain, etc. The display is wireless, an AC powered module gets connected to your router to receive the free weather updates.

But even this you can screw up. The Oregon Scientific weather station that has the above features would be perfect except for one thing. It includes a wireless outside temp sensor. But the display only shows the outside temp as part of the daily forecast that scrolls across the bottom of the LCD display, along with daily hi, low, sunrise, sunset, etc. So, you have to catch it, or else push a button to see it. That is incredibly dumb. And also something you can't figure out until you actually have the thing. I'd gladly trade the scrolling crap for just being able to leave outside temp up, but it's not selectable.

Reply to
trader4

Did you send them an email??

Agreed it is really dumb.

Reply to
LouB

it doesn't say, but do you know if this is this wireless or wired?

Reply to
charlie

Wireless. In the specifications: Wireless transmission range 330 ft max (line of site)

Wireless transmission interval every 48 seconds

Transmission Frequency 915 MHz

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of money.

Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:VJ-dnYTE1_EJltnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h for UPS ground is free.

Red Green

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same place. DAS Distribution Inc. Zephyr Instrument Division 17 Connecticut South Drive East Granby, CT 06026

I want my $8 back!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:0PSdnXoNNuPAB9nXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yea, the web pages for descriptions and forms are just about exactly the same.

Or just cancel and reorder. Can be done right online.

Reply to
Red Green

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:0PSdnXoNNuPAB9nXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ed:

By any chance have you come across the manual for it online? Be nice to go over before it arrives. Did not see it on supplier/mfgr site.

My status shows as shipped but all the UPS site says is that they received electronic shipping info but do not have the pkg yet.

Reply to
Red Green

No manual available on line that I can find. My order was shipped and will arrive on Monday. The shipping weight is 9 pounds. You either get a lot of stuff or a very heavy carton.

It will be a while before I can install the computer software though, my computer is going to the shop tomorrow and will be a few days. The other unit I had came with two outdoor units and the temperature sensor I put under the deck out of the direct sun. The wind and rain will go on the deck rail for now. I don't have a really good place for them without going to the roof. Tall trees on two sides, detached garage have to affect wind readings.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:e5adnbDPBbdgGtrXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I was just going to get the TB without software anyway until you posted the link to the TD-X with software at a much much better price. Hope the inside unit easily clips on and off the the wall mount should I want to plug the USB cable in. I do have a long USB cable with a booster but that would be a PITA.

As far as the install, just do the best for what I have to work with. I really know nothing about these but it seems some of the temp sensors can be installed in the sun because they have a radiation barrier.

I found this about general installation recommendations but like I said, just do the best for what I have to work with.

Red Green

Good information. No problem with the temperature and humidity sensors. I'm not so sure I want togo up on the roof for the wind though. I'll have to compromise on that.

As for the main unit, my intention was to just leave it in the familyh room, but the computer is at the other end of the house. I can dowload, but it woudl be nice to have it connected for real time stuff so I may do that.

Reply to
Ed

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C387F8DC3622RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

Here's a couple of pics of the installd unit. Probably a couple of little things I could to to reduce any eyesore.

Piece of PT attached to fascia with a couple of screws to hold during install. Mast attached to PT with 4x pipe straps and 2" galv screws. 2" used so it penetrates PT and fascia board. Ain't coming off.

Supplied pole fits snugly inside mast pipe. Drilled hole clear through both and put in machine screw and locknut.

Rain gague bracket spans junction of supplied upper pole to secure and keep from turning.

Temp gague mounted with 10x1" screws into 3/4 strip.

Still ain't gonna survive a garbage can hit...

Couple of concerns about location but best I could do for what I have to work with. Possible warm air collecting under soffit because siding below gets sun in afternoon. Gable vent off to the left, Should breeze be blowing from the left I guess it could drift over and have an effect.

Reply to
Red Green

That looks pretty good. The temperature sensor is supposed to be away from a building, but you have to work with what you have. What did you use for the mast pipe?

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote in news:Y8e3m.3627$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

Yea the supplied wires are 10' long -- 5' of pole doesn't leave much left for placing it out of the sun. I did call them the other day and asked if the wires, which appear to nothing more than phone cable jacks and all, were indeed wired the same internally. They said yes. So assuming length is not an issue I guess you could go get a couple of 50 footers and put the temp sensor where ever. Hard to place it considering all that can affect it. I know you mentioned under a deck. With good ground clearance that might be a good one. With low clearance you would have it getting a low reading from the cool soil.

The mast is 3/4 copper pipe. The supplied 2' mast fits perfectly inside the Cu pipe. Not sure if I created an ungrounded lightning rod though!

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C3CB05F13D86RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

Well, haven't had to deal with the mentioned garbage can hit but we had the ice and sleet storm here on Saturday in southern NC. The wind direction and speed thingys are frozen solid up there. See how it fares when it thaws.

Reply to
Red Green