Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's called hands-free.

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?

it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Reply to
micky

Hi, Just replace the pair of test leads with spring loaded J shaped clip tips. Your meter becomes ands free too, LOL. Fancy word game they play all the time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did you read the description? It states: a.. Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I did read that, but unless the test points I want are the same distance apart as the test lead holders, how does that help? And even then, I'd have to hold the meter.

On a walmart page for a different meter I came across a photo of someone with the meter strapped to his wrist, but none of the meters incluidng that one and the 3310 I asked about say anything about including a strap or elastic band, or being able to attach one. If I did a lot of meter work with little in between, places to conentiently attach a strap would be good, but I just put the meter on the car somewhere.

Walmart pages have the advantage of very easy to use englarging, so one can see what's written on the meter. And they sell a lot of the same stuff, but Amazon was cheaper on 3 of the equus meters, in one case about 60 vs. 80 dollars.

Reply to
micky

It's referring to hands-free for the test LEADS. Usually when using a meter you have the meter resting on something and you're holding the leads in your hands. At least that's how I use it. I agree the lead holders are of very limited practical value. Maybe more useful to store the lead ends than anything else.

Reply to
trader4

I still don't get it. How is it hands free, especially for the leads, which have to be held to be put on the spots where they should go. The pictures showed probes, not alligator clips.

Reply to
micky

is

The maker's site at

has a flash video. The thing has a strap so you can put it on your arm like a big wristwatch, so you can hold the leads in each hand and still have the meter in view. Looks kinda handy, actually.

The clips that hold the leads for storage are not part of the handsfree feature.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Alligators aren't the only way to grip. This is the first diagram I found that looks similar to one of the lead sets I have. Not necessarily what the one you posted has, but it gives you an idea of a non-alligator gripper-

Those are just clips-- mine are right on a lead.

I *think* mine came from radioshack.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

"Chip C" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@w1g2000vbg.googlegroups.com... On Feb 24, 11:04 am, micky wrote:

Reply to
Robert Green

BTW, if I got you interested in this, the model 3320 is only a couple dollars more and has auto-off (with a warning beep some time before it turns off), auto-range (if you like those things) , AC current up to

200 ma, a 3-light battery tester, instead of just the voltage (if you like lights)

And when I played the video they all came with a wrist strap. Although if I used a hand to hold my meter, I'd need 3 hands!! (Well, often I jumper the ground to a ground, with an alligator clip wire, but I still don't hold the meter. I use my free hand to scratch my nose. )

Reply to
micky

Reply to
micky

eyes-free?

> Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is

Hard to believe. I'm going to buy the 3320, so when it comes I will see. If it's just a couple pointed probles I wont' post back. If it's better than that, I'll try to. But that doesn't mean the same people reading this thread will see that post.

Reply to
micky

I tholught you were talking about b) the things on the side of the case to hold the leads, but if you are talking -- if they were talking -- about c) leads that hold on to wires, that would explain it all.

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing" That sure sounds like b to me. "Test leads that hold" woudl be c.

Reviewers wrote about b and said they didnt' hold the probes well.

Reply to
micky

eyes-free?

>> Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is

Oh, the alligator clip probes, a reviewer called them, are extra and may not be in the pictures, but are in the "Frequently Bought Together"***. I have several meters and about 15 of the wires with alligator clips on each end, which I use with the meter I'm using at the moment. Plus I have a couple grapbers and a couple really small grabbers, J-shaped like Jim referred to, and I use them when necessary. I'll just stick with them, but thanks to all of you for explaining. Of course it didnt' say it was hand

BTW, the Frequently Bought Together is a lie. They often include expensive things very similar to each other, and no one bought both.

And I read one review of a guy who bought something in that list and found out it was also included in the big thing he bought.

But it's not the worst lie in the world.

Reply to
micky

The manufacturer's description calls it "hands free) because it comes with a wrist strap so you don't have to hold the meter, which is a great idea, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it hands-free. The seller's descriptions in several places (like amazon) are clearly based on a misreading of the manufacturer's description:

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip though strap for hands free testing."

That sentence could use a comma, if not a period... A picture would be even better.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

At least three reviewers complained about the continuity tester and one guy writes "If you want to measure low voltages or continuity, make sure to replace the probes first. There is something wrong with the metal coating of probe tips. You have to press the metal tips hard to hear the buzzer. After I replaced the probes there was no problem.

I suspect the metal plating of the probe tips is improperly formulated. It probably suffers from some type of oxide forming on them that has poor conductivity. You can rub, but it immediately forms again due to the exposure to air. " Now I'm curious. If I like the meter, I'll trade leads with another meter.

Reply to
micky

Might it accurately be called Nose-Free also?

.

The thing obviously has no hands, so it is obviously "hands free." ;

- ))

JimCo

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"They all! include test leads. and holders. as well; as an easy slip. though. strap for hands free testing?."

"They: all include test leads; and holders' as well as an easy slip. though strap for hands. free! testing."

"They all include: test leads; and holders; as well as: an easy slip- though strap (for hands free testing)."

"They? all include test leads. and holders. as well; as an easy. slip though strap, for hands free testing."

"They all.... include test leads. and holders? as well as an "easy" slip- though strap. for hands free testing, y'all."

Punctuation it matters,

Illustration: easy to use!

Christopher? A! Young; Learn..... more; about!! Jesus.
.

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip though strap for hands free testing."

That sentence could use a comma, if not a period... A picture would be even better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Trouble shoot this... complete with comfort station.

.

A picture would be even better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Easy. A couple of nylon nuts and bolt will keep that seat from falling off again...

Reply to
Larry Fishel