Wax drip method test for machine threads

Someone posted here, that if a nut and bolt are stuck, you can hear the nut with a torch, and then drip candle wax into the threads. From a lit candle. As the temp hits the sweet spot, the wax soaks into the thread, and lubricates so the nut comes off easier.

I've not had the time, energy, and thought of this at the same time. Today I've ge got a piece of exhaust pipe from under my van, which has four clamps.

I took the pipe out with a sawzall, actually I guess I've go five clamps. I tried my favorite HF impact wrench, takes a 15 MMM socket, none of the English sockets were quite right.

Spray with castle Thrust, and a couple came loose, a couple rounded off the nuts.

Tonight I tried the heat and wax method. The ones with points on the nut didn't come off any easier with the impact gun, but a couple did some loose with a big pair of channel lock pliers, and some slow rotation.

Test is not conclusive, not sure the wax helped.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The heat expands the nut more than the shaft of the bolt, and frequencly loosens nuts just by the heating alone. The wax is an added feature. Heating followed quickly by an impact wrench is the best bet.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The wax idea requires that the nut enlarges sufficiently that capillary pressure draws the wax in between the two. If it wuz me, I would heat the nut quickly with a propane torch burning MAAP gas and then quickly drip muriatic acid onto the joint between nut and bolt and let that acid get sucked in by capillary pressure. Muriatic acid will dissolve rust, which is what's preventing the nut from turning.

Reply to
nestork

I had candle wax vapors last night. I'd not want to try that with HCL concentrate. Don't have gloves and fume hood.

Might try heat and then impact wrench. I have another clamp, under there, which needs to be removed later today. (Nov 05, 2014)

Chance to experiment with different techniques.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Heat red hot and quench with copius amounts of cold water. Try - if not successful, repeat. Then again - if it is a simple clamp, the cost of the map gas could excede the cost of the clamp - just bust the darn thing off and replace it.

Reply to
clare

where in your experimental matrix does the copious amount of cuss words, vociferously pouted, fit in? Usually helps. If you know your ancestor's language and can cuss in it, so much the better.

Reply to
Pico Rico