water sprinkler won't turn off

Any ideas on what to look for when a water sprinkler won't shut off. Turned them on earlier, one zone will not turn off. Even unplugging controller unit doesn't make a difference. Short of shutting off the water at the meter, what could I look for to shut it off?

Reply to
Melissa

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 01:50:20 GMT ""Melissa" " used 9 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

The solenoid for the valve might be stuck. Look for a round about 8" diameter plastic cover in the lawn, open it. You might be able to see why it's stuck - or move it around to shake it free.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ok, found it. We had checked one, but had no idea if it was even part of the sprinklers as it's next to the pool mechanics. Turns out what we thought was one access to something with the pool is 4 sprinkler valves in a row, three with no covers and filled with dirt. Working in near dark, we couldn't get it to do anything, took awhile just to figure out which one had water running through it. Shut off water to house, tried to sop up water and mud from container, got screws out and the entire thing bubbled up more water, I guess what was left in the line. Full container of very watery mud, put it back together even though filthy and resigned ourselves to having that zone run all night until we could see in daylight what was going on. Turn water back on and zone stays off! UGH! So, water is on, sprinklers are off, mosquitoes are slapped, and it can all wait til morning. Thanks so much for the point in the right direction. We thought we were going to have to start digging up the lawn starting at the meter. Guess this would be a good time to try and map it all out and gather what info we can for next time. I'm quite sure you saved us untold aggravation. Really appreciate it!

Reply to
Melissa

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:36:31 GMT ""Melissa" " used 46 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

You're welcome.

Reply to
G. Morgan